Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 1st August 2021, 01:38 AM   #11
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi AS,

My mistake, weekends I can be a bit tardy getting to the forum.
I now have an old (2005) Marantz SA7001 which has been modded for a superior output stage. It was owned by Steve Harrison, who bought the latest 18 months back at high cost and gave it to me! This SA7001 is VERY good, far better than anything I'd owned before, and most of my listening is CD/DVD. I do not have a turntable, but I try to aim for 'Tube grace and SS muscle' in the amplification if you know my thinking....... I do have a good laptop, couple of HDD and a JRiver server on my PC, and a Cambridge DAC Magic as well I bought from a wonderful friend who is a retired pharmacist, and I have a lot of CDs ripped to my HDDs borrowed from many friends like Marty Walker as well. For testing purposes, I use the 2006 NY Rave audiophile tracks, given me from a good friend in the Club years ago at RMAF, and a couple of Jen's CDs from Denmark, one of my very old customers living in Copenhagen who has visited and stayed with us on his wide ranging travels (pre-Covid!). These tracks are carefully chosen to reveal all the issues audiophiles like to chat about, PRAT, Imaging, Engagement, Dynamics, Micro-dynamics and so on.

So you were in the military, huh? I have never ever talked to a vet whose life was not radically changed by military service, particularly the ones who served in active service.

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 1st August 2021 at 06:51 AM.
Old 1st August 2021, 12:23 PM   #12
audiostar is offline audiostar  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh,

You are wise not to buy vinyl, as it is more expensive then digital. If you are into diy, now is your chance to get all issues of Linear Audio magazine by Jan Didden. Single USB stick for $99 at diyaudio store. A super deal for such important work. Please note magazine was discontinued.
Old 1st August 2021, 10:56 PM   #13
saf is offline saf  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hugh,

A bit hard to get 4700uF good quality caps around here and I struggle to order from outside EU as everything gets taxed now and veeeery long posting times.

The 10,000uF Elna caps are much more common and seem to be same size. Would this be adequate or just too much capacitance? The aksa uses 4x 4700uf so instead of 20,000uF I would end up with 40,000uF. This would let me just use same PCB board with no modification.
Too much?
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:14 AM   #14
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Felipe,

3,300uF or 6,800uF would be fine. 10,000uF could be a bridge too far, because it stresses the rectifiers, which would have to be double. They are 15A Philips Ultra Fast Slow Recovery (UFSR) and for a bigger cap should be 25A.

Covid has restricted large ranges of products from Digikey and Mouser and many are now not available at all. Ah, a small virus, who would have expected this?

Hugh

How old is old enough for your AKSA ampHide this!Advertise here!