Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 30th December 2020, 12:11 PM   #1
Dastec05 is offline Dastec05
diyAudio Member

Default SAKSA 85 driving Magnapan LRS

Hi all, Hi Hugh,
I bought a pair of LRS a couple of months ago. I had read how difficult they are to drive and only sound good with very high quality amp with a lot of power so I was a little concerned how the saksa 85 would handle them. I can happily say the saksa amp drives the LRS very well the sound stage and clarity is better than I have ever herd in my system. Both the saksa85 and LRS are both the best bargains in Hi-end audio.
Old 30th December 2020, 10:58 PM   #2
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thank you for posting, Dastec!!

The Magneplanar speakers are purely resistive; they are lowish impedance, but not reactive and not too difficult to drive. It is the electrostatics which are difficult to drive; they see an 8R/2uF combination in parallel, and at 20KHz they are very hard to drive for a global fb amplifier. The SAKSA can drive them well too!
A Happy New Year to you and your family, and thank you again for the post,

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:25 AM   #3
Dastec05 is offline Dastec05
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh,
Happy new year.
You are right the Magneplanar are not a difficult load they are a demanding load, my LRS impedance drops below 3 ohms at 500hz they have an advertised sensitivity of 86dB but test more like 82dB so need a heap of power specially in a large room. I have mine in my lounge room which is a medium sized room and sound fantastic at low and moderate volume. I tried them for the first time at high volume today but found that the SAKSA 85 ran out of steam and was getting hot. I could happily live with the saksa 85 but I think the MAYA will be a better match long term. So my next upgrade will be to the MAYA amp hopefully soon.
Cheers Darren
  Reply to this post

SAKSA 85 driving Magnapan LRSHide this!Advertise here!