• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SAKSA 85 driving Magnapan LRS

Hi all, Hi Hugh,
I bought a pair of LRS a couple of months ago. I had read how difficult they are to drive and only sound good with very high quality amp with a lot of power so I was a little concerned how the saksa 85 would handle them. I can happily say the saksa amp drives the LRS very well the sound stage and clarity is better than I have ever herd in my system. Both the saksa85 and LRS are both the best bargains in Hi-end audio.

Thank you for posting, Dastec!!

The Magneplanar speakers are purely resistive; they are lowish impedance, but not reactive and not too difficult to drive. It is the electrostatics which are difficult to drive; they see an 8R/2uF combination in parallel, and at 20KHz they are very hard to drive for a global fb amplifier. The SAKSA can drive them well too!
A Happy New Year to you and your family, and thank you again for the post,

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,
Happy new year.
You are right the Magneplanar are not a difficult load they are a demanding load, my LRS impedance drops below 3 ohms at 500hz they have an advertised sensitivity of 86dB but test more like 82dB so need a heap of power specially in a large room. I have mine in my lounge room which is a medium sized room and sound fantastic at low and moderate volume. I tried them for the first time at high volume today but found that the SAKSA 85 ran out of steam and was getting hot. I could happily live with the saksa 85 but I think the MAYA will be a better match long term. So my next upgrade will be to the MAYA amp hopefully soon.
Cheers Darren

Hi Guys,

I did the big upgrade to a MAYA 200 amp a few months ago and wow
what an upgrade, The amp is the perfect match to the Magnepan speakers.
The speed of the bass and mid range clarity is better than anything I have ever heard before, It has a huge sound. The amp powers the Magnepan with ease and barely gets warm.
As good as the SAKSA 85 is the MAYA does everything better.
Like I said before I could happily live with the SAKSA85 but the MAYA is a very special amp and will be my long term amp. I have been using Hugh's amps nearly twenty years. I have tried other amps but always go back to Hugh's amps but I think will be a long term investment maybe other 20 years:)

Cheers Darren

Attachments

• IMG_20210703_113137.jpg
    IMG_20210703_113137.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 168