Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 19th June 2020, 02:20 AM   #1
parrot is offline parrot  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default After sales service

For any of you who haven't had the need to call on it, Hugh is magnificent when it comes to helping out in cases where for any reason, you might have a problem with one of the many products he's created over the years. For me, the problem was self induced, so it's extra good of Hugh to help me through with his email trouble shooting system

16 years on and my AKSA 55N+/GK-1 combination is still working perfectly, in harmony with my fairly efficient [96db] DIY speakers from the same time. I did have a small incident late last year, after having to uproot the whole system to escape from the bushfires that ravaged our east coast forests and their residents both human and animal.

The Incident: I post this because it might help somebody else. Many RCA sockets, that are fitted to cases, depend entirely on friction to keep them from rotating when you remove/replace a cable from them. Simple enough in a way but given there's no specified torque, or toque wrench, to give you the right tension on the retaining nuts and that squashing a nylon washer doesn't give you much feel for the correct tension, these things can slip/rotate. For me, this happened when I removed some cables that hadn't been touched for maybe 20 years [and were tight]. When I re-installed the cables, the RCA terminal was loose so the ground ring was also loose, so the connection caused problems.

Now, I'm using a dab of loctite plus the more mundane and obvious strategy of checking the RCAs more carefully while removing/replacing cables.

Thanks again Hugh.

Jules
Old 20th June 2020, 10:58 PM   #2
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Jules,

My sincere thanks. A very nice gesture to write this anecdote with AKSA amps!
For me, your wonderful manners and quiet approach won me over, you are a most personable individual and working with you was a pleasure!

I hope that your home was not damaged in the bushfires? And your wonderful car is OK too?

Ah, that RCA connector has caused lots of angst for audiophiles. They are not good designs, none of them.......

Hugh
Old 6th July 2020, 06:55 PM   #3
gonefishin is offline gonefishin  United States
diyAudio Member

Being an owner of a few AKSA amps, I couldn't agree more with your words about Hugh. A true class act.

Dan
Old Today, 09:12 AM   #4
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot View Post
For any of you who haven't had the need to call on it, Hugh is magnificent when it comes to helping out in cases where for any reason, you might have a problem with one of the many products he's created over the years. For me, the problem was self induced, so it's extra good of Hugh to help me through with his email trouble shooting system

Jules
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot View Post
The Incident: I post this because it might help somebody else. Many RCA sockets, that are fitted to cases, depend entirely on friction to keep them from rotating when you remove/replace a cable from them. Simple enough in a way but given there's no specified torque, or toque wrench, to give you the right tension on the retaining nuts and that squashing a nylon washer doesn't give you much feel for the correct tension, these things can slip/rotate. For me, this happened when I removed some cables that hadn't been touched for maybe 20 years [and were tight]. When I re-installed the cables, the RCA terminal was loose so the ground ring was also loose, so the connection caused problems.
True. For this reason, I now use RCA sockets which have an external nut (rather than the normal internal nut).

Andy

After sales serviceHide this!Advertise here!