• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Naksa 80 Input GND question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Inside of the amp

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have a green wire connected to the central earth ground at one end and not connected to anything at the other end.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looking at the inputs connection to the board, Hot and Gnd seems to be correct.

Per manual, the wire (pointed) label per manual says "RCA Ground to Star Earth PCB"

Should I connect the green wire to the GND of the L and R input RCA's then? I do have some hum (one source, one preamp, 94 dB speakers). Other amplifiers does not exhibit the hum.

Thanks for any help.
Abe

No, Abe, the green wire is to IEC earth and should be connected to the center spade at the midpoint of the pcb in the middle of the block of filter caps.

However, since you may have acquired a used NAKSA it may not have connected because the previous user found it was quieter when he floated the amp. Floating the amp means that the chassis/IEC earth is not connected to the central power earth on the pcb. This is just fine electrically because the amp is isolated galvanically from the mains with a transformer. Some times connecting amp power amp to chassis/IEC earth can bring hum to the speakers because the earth of the house wiring is very noisy.

Enjoy your NAKSA!

Hugh

Floating the amp means that the chassis/IEC earth is not connected to the central power earth on the pcb.

Enjoy your NAKSA!

Hugh

Thank you Hugh!
I acquired this amp three years ago.
Yes, that seems to be the case here.

IMG_1285.jpg

I will try hooking the green wire to IEC ground and see if it makes a difference.
Abe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.