Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 10th April 2020, 12:11 PM   #21
ferret is online now ferret  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh,
I see that you use the Conrad heatsinks. Wonderful, excellent quality products. They are of course just a stone's throw away from you so makes sense to use them. Got a whole bunch of sinks from them back in 2014. Need to get some new ones to finish rebuilding my Bedini 25.25 amp. The original ones are way too small. Temperature on the box went as high as 80C in summer.
Kevin
Old 10th April 2020, 11:45 PM   #22
audiostar is offline audiostar  United States
diyAudio Member

Conrad heatsinks.

Conrad heatsinks group buy
Old 11th April 2020, 01:20 AM   #23
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Kevin,

Conrad Heatsinks are now the only cast heatsinks manufactured in Australia. The principal, Julian Wales, is a close friend and lives at the factory, working six day weeks. He has the best work ethic I have ever seen, even though he suffers poor health. He loves Jaguars, and bought a 1973 V12 2+2 with 18k miles on the clock a couple of years ago. The car is mint, but the engine has a rear crank seal problem so he has removed the engine (!) and is rebuilding the rear main seal. He is also a very good violinist - aren't lots of electrical engineers music lovers?

He is delighted I'm designing Class A amplifiers these days!

His products are exceptional, beautifully cast and machined. They look much better than extruded heatsinks, and the casting process means that fins are always vertical, ideal for best cooling.

Thanks AS for the web link,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 11th April 2020 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11th April 2020, 01:38 AM   #24
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret View Post
Indeed so, especially in countries where the economy is already messed up (SA.) Here in SA we have been in lock-down since 27 April and they want to extend this for an additional two weeks till the end of April (originally 3-weeks.) Can't get hold off basic diy home stuff to repair a blocked drain and broken pipe. Use the plumber is no doubt the answer, but they want to charge so much one almost requires a second bond on the house to pay them. Nothing to be done for the moment though, so will just continue till the lock-down ends.
Keep safe all,
Kevin
Here in Argentina hardware stores have been included in the "essential shops" list and large space ones (Think Home Depot and similar) are allowed to open partially.
I guess the idea is to keep itchy hands people like us spend time and energy doing home repairs.
Large retailers are 50/70% locked out of reach but they have a list of what you can buy: Paint - electrical hardware - hand and power tools and their accessories (drills, saw disks, etc.) - gas/plumbing stuff - construction stuff (bricks - sand - Portland cement) etc.
Even some wood if construction related.

I make Guitar amps and cabinets, almost running out of chipboard and MDF which is NOT allowed while phenolic multi ply is, same as OSB so absolute worst if this goes on too long I will need to use them.

Not that bad considering the circumstances.
Old 11th April 2020, 01:52 AM   #25
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Life in the time of the Virus
I am tired of bolting amps to vertical heatsinks and am interested in the concept of the flanged heatsink from Conrad. I guess they would ship overseas so it’s a good option. I need to build a decent version of a JLH with modern power devices. Anybody with an appreciation for old Jags is a good chap in my books, pitty the latest Jags lack the style of the old ones. Heck, I may just get carried away and rebuild some of my Class AB amps to get away from those paperweight Chinese heatsinks.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 11th April 2020 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11th April 2020, 02:27 AM   #26
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Life in the time of the Virus
I seem to remember an AKSA amplifier build photo and you used flanged heatsinks. I think it can look elegant with the pcb horizontal and easy top down access to power device mounting screws.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 11th April 2020, 02:47 AM   #27
suresh is offline suresh  India
diyAudio Member

I am enjoying my MAYA during lock down . Hugh's journey from glass harmony to omega are fascinating. His hobby , spirit , interest , dedication and his contribution to this Diyaudio is immense. More over he is a good friend of his customers . he is a special person in my audio life . i am not good at technical level still i learned a lot from his contribution.
Old 11th April 2020, 03:57 AM   #28
audiostar is offline audiostar  United States
diyAudio Member

Hugh,

Every business has a plan. When the time comes the successor takes over. We want to see AKSA continue.
Old 12th April 2020, 07:31 AM   #29
ferret is online now ferret  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Amp rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I think it can look elegant with the pcb horizontal and easy top down access to power device mounting screws.
This is a rebuild of a Bedini 25.25 that I intend to complete in the next week or two. I bought the flanged sinks from Conrad Engineering and the custom smaller ones (8FT with one half of fins removed) trimmed to fit, some time back. Mr Wales was extremely helpful. The only problem I had was drilling the holes into the flange. The drill press chuck is too large to get close to the sink, so the TO-3s were laid out length wise. The new sink is ~ 80% larger than original. Have a new 400 VA trafo & new PSU boards with 40 000 uF for each channel. The problem is getting the case finished off, but can & will be done later. Time to get these boards working. The lock down is helping. PCBs will be below flange with TO-3s top side.

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCB and sink.jpg (245.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 12th April 2020, 08:00 AM   #30
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiostar View Post
Speaking of music, I hear Hugh makes good amps.
Certainly does and had my first heart attack while listening to one (LF55 in 2007).... odd but true. Too much emotion but more likely the result of installing a swimming pool at the time.

Last edited by rabbitz; 12th April 2020 at 08:02 AM.

Life in the time of the VirusHide this!Advertise here!