• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AKSA 100N+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hope you found a happy home for your 100N+.

I've been designing and building tube amps for the last 5 or more years

BUT

I suddenly had need for another power amp.

I had previously sold my AKSA 55N+ to a local guy who had been buying and selling amps for several years but not finding anything to his ultimate liking, until the 55N+ that is. I really regretted parting with it.

Out to the shed and pulled out a 50W version of a prototype Maya I built some years back and some half populated AKSA55N+ boards.

5 Hours slaving over a hot iron and a 55N+ is reborn. I really do love that old amp. I don't care if it doesn't measure fantastically it just sounds "dare I say it" organic.

Listening to some Brewster Brothers while the Blackgates settle in.

Regards to Hugh and Aksaphiles everywhere.

Cheers,
Ian

Hope you found a happy home for your 100N+.

I've been designing and building tube amps for the last 5 or more years

I had previously sold my AKSA 55N+ to a local guy who had been buying and selling amps for several years but not finding anything to his ultimate liking, until the 55N+ that is. I really regretted parting with it.

Cheers,
Ian

On the subject of tube amps, I bought a Yaqin MC-100B a few years ago, which had a reputation for being as good as western tube amps of several times the price...very disappointing. It was "unlistenable" alongside the 100N+. Made a terrific room heater though. That's my only experience with tube amps!

More recently, I did a direct comparison between the 100N+ and my faithful Arcam AVR. Again, the 100N+ was the clear winner. Admittedly not quite a fair comparison since the Arcam was designed for seven channels of bells and whistles while the 100N+ has a much simpler task, plus the 100N+ was fed from a Benchmark DAC, but the difference was still more obvious than I was expecting.

I still have my 100N+. I've had a few offers, but none quite close enough.

Happy soldering,

Em

I really do love that old amp. I don't care if it doesn't measure fantastically it just sounds "dare I say it" organic.

Listening to some Brewster Brothers while the Blackgates settle in.

+1
Best DIY amp I ever had but I haven't heard Hugh's more recent creations.

Bugger the Blackgates and if your are talking about C4 (I think), I threw them away and used Nichicon KZ instead.

Out to the shed and pulled out a 50W version of a prototype Maya I built some years back and some half populated AKSA55N+ boards.

5 Hours slaving over a hot iron and a 55N+ is reborn. I really do love that old amp. I don't care if it doesn't measure fantastically it just sounds "dare I say it" organic.

Ian, I think you really need to listen to a NAKSA 80 ... or a SAKSA 85. :)

I thought the Lifeforce 55s were a step up from my 55N+s - and then the NAKSA 80s were again an improvement.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.