• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

LED hum on toroidal trannie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This forum has been quiet. Too quiet.
Hugh whats up with the news flash ? How is Aspen Business ? What are you selling now ?

Let me just post something make chit chat.
I have been lurking on my LifeForce55 this week, finishing the casework and handles, plus i wanted to install a new LED light connected to DC output from the PSupply.

Problem is, when i connect the LED the transformer (toroid from AVelLindberg) they start generating a pretty considerable hum/rattle. Typically oscillating. I know there are better toroids but i am trying to keep costs low and use these i already have.
This is not too strong, but enough to notice the difference with LED vs without it.

Strange for a LED light to induce the transformer rattle...no ?
Anyway, i just wanted an excuse to shake up the forum !
Cheers
Filipe

Aha, a wonderful happy ending!
We don't have many of them in audio!
Thank you very much for giving me a response Filipe, this tells me that any blue LED should have a small electro around it to remove noise where it might enter the signal path.........
I owe you a long email today, give me a couple of hours.
Cheers,
Hugh

This does not happen with green LED, Andy, but it begs the question: do other LEDs create noise? We know blue does, but I would expect orange and white. I'm not convinced red is an issue however.

Hugh

Thanks, Hugh. I've certainly never noticed any transformer noise in all the amps I've built, using red & yellow LEDs to show DC rail power 'on'.

Strange that Felipe found that the (blue) LED caused his power traffo to make a noise. I could understand that a LED might cause HF hash in the signal you hear from the speakers (by, say, causing oscillations on the DC rail) but a power traffo! :confused:

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.