• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Thank you Jens!! :blush:

A Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you, your family, and indeed, to ALL Aspen family and friends for 2018!! :grouphug:

It's been quite a year, and we are another year old..... groan...... :xfingers:

It's five years since my AAA, and I'm still designing and selling amplifier, I'm incredibly grateful. To the big guy, and to you, for whom I try to design and manufacture ever better amplifiers each year.

This year has seen the SAKSA 85, which has sold in very good numbers. And the Maya is really selling well too; I will very soon have to have new batches for both amplifiers!

I have added a new 'NEWS' on the website which gives a little more information, particularly of the new headphone amp will be a new product this year.

Again, thank you to all for supporting my little amplifier business. I'm very grateful for the confidence, trust and support; this buoys me up into 2018. Hifi remains my dominating interest as we enter another new year!

Ciao,

Hugh

Last edited:
Christmas 2017 & NY 2018

Hi Hugh,

Do have a great break during the next week, and come back with all 12 fuel-injected turbocharged cylinders still firing in the correct sequence for 2018.

May you continue to come up with stupendous audio designs for many years to come.

Very best regards, Peter Roberts :wave:

Thank you Raj, Zia, and Peter!!
Very nice of you all, and the best to you and your families.........

Peter,

At present XRK and I are working on a power amp using a combination of my AKSA/Lender preamp in the SS forum and the Aleph 3, one of the Pass famous SE amps. Every day I'm throwing ideas in and out between head and the PC; most are no good, but a few are excellent, like the SAKSA and the Maya.

This is all an obsession for me, and therefore not work. I sold a complete build last week to a man in Melbourne, and another coming up next week. I absolutely enjoy it, it is so important to be involved in something in your sixties, particularly when you are not able to travel.

Thank you guys so much for encouraging me! ;)

Good health to all of us for 2018 :)

Season's Greetings, Hugh! It's wonderful to see you enjoying a great bonus round :)

I have an AKSA 55 from 2005 that I built along with a Rod Elliott pre-amp to power a set of speakers of my own design - Vifa P17WJ + D25AG in a ported bookshelf enclosure and first order series crossover. These have all survived 10 years in a coastal location (glad your detailed instructions advised coating PCBs with lacquer!) and still sounding fantastic. Had them going yesterday providing plenty of ambience while painting the ceilings, with occasional breaks in the sweet spot to fully appreciate things. It makes me happy that I'm enjoying the work of Aussie audio designers!

I bought myself a pair of HD 600 cans for Xmas, and building a starved plate SET / mosfet follower headphone amp for them. Never done any tube stuff before so I felt like doing something a bit different :) I doubt it will sound anything like the beast you are cooking up though!!

Cheers, all the best for 2018 and beyond!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff!

I am thrilled an AKSA 55 has made it to 2018 and still giving good service, and with your own designed speaker too! They say a 1st order is a very good sound, and I'm sure that with the tube hybrid it will sound even better. Is it the Pete Millett design?

I continue to design new amps, many of which I have not heard yet, I'm ashamed to so. Building and listening is the same as Design + Time + Energy + Money, until it exists it is just make believe!

Happy New Year and good health through 2018.

Cheers,

Hugh

Too Late & Early

Too late for the Christmas wishes, but just in time to wish you, Hugh, ahem, a healthy, happy and prosperous 2018. After the birth of our daughter this magnificent hobby of (h)ours has been pushed to the back ground... slightly. That said I've followed your latest endeavors with great interest and will be designing a new music / movie room in '18 to be built in '19 or early '20! This will undoubtedly involve one of your creations Hugh. My granite based Lifeforce/Soraya is still going strong but I'm simply too curious after reading "the latest". All the best Hugh, hope to touch base soon.

Thanks Ron!!

A pleasure to hear from you again, and congratulations to you and your lady for being new parents!!

My youngest is now married and living in Brooklyn NYC, my golly, how life goes on! The latest, the Maya, bears her second name and without doubt is my best.

Are you still 'at sea' most of the year still? These days I cannot travel, it is most regrettable but I'm getting used to it.

Happy New Year, and good health to you, your family, and all other Aspen family around the globe.

Ciao,

Hugh

Thanks Hugh, they're on board with me now, celebrating Christmas and New Year. Congratulations to you too, and yes, life goes on. I'm still spending 6 months a year at sea, 3 months on / 3 off approximately. If you can point me in the right direction I'd love to read a bit more about the Maya, you know sea-internet, a little direction goes a long way...

I'm sure that with the tube hybrid it will sound even better. Is it the Pete Millett design?

I've looked at Pete Millett's SSMH but I'm actually going to build the Rogers Gomez NP-100v12 first - but I'll run the plate at 24V instead of 12V.

I'm also integrating a USB DAC into it switchable with analog input so I can plug it straight into my PC for a neater solution, or use any other DAC (PC, iPhone etc) to drive it as I feel like. Bit of a fusion of old and new :)

I am interested to build the Millett design at a later date so I can compare :D

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to past, present and future Aspen customers, and indeed, to all who visit these pages!

I am a little leery about 2019. The world is a bigger mess than usual, many millions of refugees languishing in camps around the Middle East, Africa, and even in Europe. There is determined military activity from China, considerable frustration from the US with its Mexican Wall, the upcoming Brexit with UK/EU, and even yesterday a major tsunami in Indonesia killing hundreds. There are strange oil price drops around the world, and a serious turn in the Yemen war with Saudi Arabia. Turkey is lurching to the right and Australia's Prime Minister has changed again. What a mess!!

I would like to thank everyone who has committed to my products and showed the leap of faith. I do believe that as time goes on I am learning more, and I can offer that 2019 will see present products will be see changes to deliver even more performance in areas listeners will notice with their ears.......!

Thanks to Jens, Steve, XRK971, Felipe, Sene, Ron, and tens of others who have shown very strong interest in my little company and products and who have demonstrated wonderful friendship. I appreciate it and hope that they, and their family, have a wonderful Christmas and New Year, particularly health and happiness. I remain committed to audio for the future and have many ideas bubbling to the surface which will bring improvements for the future!

Ciao,

Hugh

Last edited:
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Hugh and all Aspen family members.

We are all bonded here since we share same interest in audio . i am positive that 2019 will be a great year for Hugh and all in this forum .

Mr. Hugh please let us know more about your future products .

Regards