Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 23rd January 2020, 10:53 AM   #31
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi AS,
The first and second stages are totally different to suit an expectation that the Omega, a commercial product, will leverage on the design lessons from the AN.
Does this give you the answer you wanted, or perhaps did you want the technical details, which I'm reluctant to discuss as this will be a product I can sell rather than give open source to the DIY market. I have to make some money to support my R&D!!
Happy New Years to you, AS!

Hugh
Old 23rd January 2020, 02:07 PM   #32
sene is offline sene  Jamaica
diyAudio Member

Happy new year to the Aspen family especially to you Hugh and continue to push the envelope in developing new amps...always exciting to hear of new amp designs...all the best to you and your family!
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:07 PM   #33
audiostar is offline audiostar  United States
diyAudio Member

Hugh,
3 American firefighters die in Australia. That hurts. May 2020 bring a quick end to the fires.
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:30 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hi AS,
Yes, that was terrible. The C130 tore its wings off trying to avoid a collision. It must have been a huge incident; probably carrying a full load of fire retardant. I have done many miles in military Hercules; arguably the safest airplane in the air, a tragedy. Fires in Oz this year have been epic and tragic; at least three or four times worse than any previous year, and early in the summer too. Authorities are talking about 11 million acres laid waste.
Thank you for your post, and to you Sene too, nice to see you here!

Hugh
Old 1st February 2020, 12:39 AM   #35
probbo is offline probbo
diyAudio Member

Default C-130 Crash Causes?

Hi Hugh,
This is off-topic, but doing a Google search suggests that the problem you refer to has been involved a in a number of crashes worldwide. The first C-130 flight was in 1954 (so, metal fatigue in older models?), and many have been modified to be water bombers (very heavy load on the wing roots).
Regards, Peter
Old 1st February 2020, 05:28 AM   #36
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Excuse me for interrupting but there is some serious misinformation going on here about the C-130 crash on January 23, and some things are not quite right!

If you wish to know about C-130 crashes just look it up on google and you will get a wiki page listing them all by country of occurrance.

For firefighting purposes, or C-130's used as retardant aircraft, there have been 3 C-130 air crashes.
In 2002, an older model C-130 crashed in California when the wings did indeed come off the airplane while the plane was in a drop run. The wings had been patched up several times. There is a video of this, btw.
In 2008 a US National Guard C-130 fitted with special tanks crashed in North Carolina during a drop run.
On January 23, 2020 a newly refitted C-130Q, a newer version plane, crashed as mentioned, and for as yet unknown reasons. If you wish to know all about this particular plane you can look at an article on Fireaviation.com.
There is a phone video out now that is thus far they only eye witness of the event. Do a google search if interested.

Last edited by stvnharr; 1st February 2020 at 05:36 AM.
Old 1st February 2020, 06:12 AM   #37
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

I ran out of time to edit my post so here is another post with some additional information.

List of C-130 incidents: List of accidents and incidents involving the Lockheed C-130 Hercules - Wikipedia

The National Guard Maffs C-130 crash was in July 2012, not 2008.

For good information on the latest incident here is link to fireaviation: An overview of the C-130 incident in Australia - Fire Aviation

I might add that prior to 2002 most aerial retardant aircraft were older WWII vintage aircraft as well as retired DC6 and DC7 aircraft.
Post 2002 it is all different. Now there are newer aircraft frames utilized, including retired passenger jet aircraft. Keep in mind that these aircraft were designed to fly at high altitudes. They were not designed to fly at low altitudes and drop heavy loads to the ground. The margin for error at these low altitudes is not very much, as the January 23 incident confirms.

If you have any interest at all, the youtube video in the Fireaviation article is good information from a knowledgeable source.
Old 1st February 2020, 08:15 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Thanks Peter and Steve!
It seems it's more likely the Jan 2020 crash was operator error, together with excessive smoke at the time...... we await the finally report on this of course.
A tragedy for the family of these US guys, who were giving wonderful help to our society.......

Hugh
Old 6th February 2020, 11:47 AM   #39
audiostar is offline audiostar  United States
diyAudio Member

On the subject of aircraft, be careful with small private planes and helicopters.
It is nice to know that Australian Hi-Fi celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2019.
Speaking of Australian cartridges, does Garrott P77i get enough respect? Tell me it is a wonderful cartridge.

Merry Christmas and Happy New YearHide this!Advertise here!