• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

NAKSA 70 survived atomic blast

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This afternoon some little accident happened. I'm running a pair of NAKSA 70's as mid and tweeter amp driven by a DEQX crossover. Because of an accidental mouseclick at the wrong place in the DEQX software the volume went to max in zero seconds wich ment a bloody loud distorted sound. It really sounded like the loudspeakers were tearing apart, sqeackinly loud heavy distortion. The highs where much louder then the bass and mids but that was beacause the voicecoils went out of their linear zone and the amp had to deliver too much current I guess. Anyways, the cat was stuck at the ceiling around that time and I was running to pull the powerplug out of the wall. I really thought this was the end of my loudspeakers and amps but wonder oh wonder after turning everything back on again everything sounded just like nothing happened. No distortion, no funny smell anywhere, nothing. The speakers where still o.k. as where the amps wich can only mean that the amps didn't distort heavily, otherwie there was no way the loudspeakers would have survived this sudden atomic blast.

I'm still a litle bit scared something can be damaged wich could show up in the next couple of weeks but we'll see. For now I'm very happy the NAKSA's proved to be stable. Kudos to Hugh for some pretty good engineering with only 5 active transistors and pretty high power.

Well it was too short to blow any resistors I guess. I was more woried about the output transistors and power supply capacitors. Soo far it has been playing again all day and it's holding fine. Haven't opened them up, too much hassle to take them out of the system but I think I still might do that. That they didn't blow my mids and tweeters, that was pretty impressive. Saved me 2500 euro worth of drivers and the amps themselves offcoarse.

The N70 is really remarkable at least with the
Proto type that I have, I just move them to a bigger heatsink fearing the thermal failure and it now barely making any heat. It already survived after all the stress test I have done to it and just few days ago I compare them to the original AKSA 55, my first amp from Hugh and I could hear how far it has improved. The bass was much better with control and authority.
TLP up front and Driving Dynaudio Focus 160 and swapping from time to time with Dynaudio DM 2/7.
Hats off the Hugh

Regards
Rom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.