Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 23rd October 2017, 07:04 AM   #11
meanman1964 is online now meanman1964  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Wim Rotte from Holland has some 6ES8 tubes left too .
Old 23rd October 2017, 07:15 AM   #12
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Pete,
I've done some simple searching and have come up with some links for you to look at to get an idea of what your choices might be.

If you want to go with just a low cost standard replacement, then tubestore or tubedepot has 6es8's for under $10 ea.
The first link below is for NOS 6es8. There are several choices and various price ranges. I've never bought from the vendor but they do offer a lot of tubes.
The 6es8 is not a common tube and choices are limited.

However, the 6DJ8 family has lots of choices, and they can get pricey in a hurry. You can look at the links to get an idea. I can vouch for Andy at vintage tube services as I bought from him a dozen or so years ago. He has a lot beyond the pdf list and likes a chat. He only does business on the phone too.

6es8

6922 Philips
6922 Amperex

http://vintagetubeservices.com/wp-co...gnal-Tubes.pdf

Lastly, I have found that spending a lot of money on tubes for the GK-1 is not really the best value. Though then again I found the 7308's I got from Andy to be a little bit nicer sounding than the original. I recall that I spent $65 ea. on the tubes. They were Amperex and look nice.
The NOS 6es8 choice has intrigued me as that might represent a good value if the tube price is not over the top. It's what Hugh designed the circuit to use and perhaps the NOS ones may offer some value over the $6 ones. But I never did buy any so cannot offer anything more than that opinion.

Start saving for a pair of Maya modules. They would be good value with the W22E drivers in your Orions.

Steve
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:34 PM   #13
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Another place to look for tubes is Upscale Audio.
You won't find 6es8's there, but you will find suitable ones there that won't break the bank. Kevin is a good dealer and I have purchased here long ago.
Old 23rd October 2017, 01:35 PM   #14
psp is offline psp  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all of you for your quick, helpful, and friendly help. I'll get busy following up leads, let you know what I ended up buying, and how it sounds.

I feel like I've been to a reunion of old friends, minus the beer and colorful surroundings of course. / Pete

Replacing Original GK1 Tubes / Recommendations and Sources?Hide this!Advertise here!