Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 21st January 2018, 10:08 AM   #11
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Filipe,

Andy and I enjoyed a coffee today as we wrestled with his zero feedback phono preamp. We have it correct now, we think.......

Your sub is very large, it would be very good on Jurassic Park, that T Rex scene is so horrific I break out laughing, particularly if the sub is really big.

I have two, one of which is isobaric, and the other is TL. Most of the time I don't use them, because they dominate the sonic landscape!

Hugh
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:49 AM   #12
saf is offline saf  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
Don't know if you've seen the Aussie film "Crocodile Dundee", saf ... but I would have to say that's not a sub ... this is a sub!

I have 2 of these sealed subs:
* outside dimensions of the cabinets are 890 high x 395 wide x 600 deep.
* 15" Dayton dual voice coil 'Ultimax' driver.
* 19mm max excursion.
* 800w (into 4 ohms) Hypex plate amp - interestingly enough, this has a linear PS ... not a SMPS!

Andy
Andy,

Lets not start comparing d*** here ! Ehehehh
http://files.diyaudio.com/forums/ima...ons/icon10.gif

BUT....this sub is :
640 x 550 X 720 = 253 litres vol
16" driver
1500W continuos RMS

Yours is :
890 high x 395 wide x 600 deep = 208 litres Vol
15" driver
400W into 4ohm

Hey...but 2 subs are better than one integration wise!
From a pure slam impact deep Hz, i prefer 1 bigger sub though...
Also this is a ported design, wich goes even lower. I dont turn it on for music though, my floorstanders are more than enough.
But like Hugh said, the T-Rex in the room shakes quite a bit with it ! love the thrill it provides.

I see your point about the Crocodile Dundee , knife size right?
Paul Hogan was my childhood hero, the first time i spoke to Hugh on the phone....i said to him....WOW you sound just like the Crocodile Dundee !!!
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:11 AM   #13
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

My God, Filipe, it will take me some days to live this down........
One of Hogan's wonderful styles was his deliberate speech of an uneducated man. When I went to the States people could not figure out if I was Australian or Brit (I was born in South Australia, one of the few 'free' settler states in Australia. The rest, ahem, were descended from convicts, and jail warders).
I have to say that I would be more concerned about the warders!

HD
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:32 AM   #14
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf View Post
Andy,

Lets not start comparing d*** here ! Ehehehh
http://files.diyaudio.com/forums/ima...ons/icon10.gif

BUT....this sub is :
640 x 550 X 720 = 253 litres vol
16" driver
1500W continuos RMS

Yours is :
890 high x 395 wide x 600 deep = 208 litres Vol
15" driver
400W into 4ohm

Hey...but 2 subs are better than one integration wise!
From a pure slam impact deep Hz, i prefer 1 bigger sub though...
Also this is a ported design, wich goes even lower. I dont turn it on for music though, my floorstanders are more than enough.
But like Hugh said, the T-Rex in the room shakes quite a bit with it ! love the thrill it provides.

I see your point about the Crocodile Dundee , knife size right?
Paul Hogan was my childhood hero, the first time i spoke to Hugh on the phone....i said to him....WOW you sound just like the Crocodile Dundee !!!
Yes, true, saf ... 'xept the amps are 800w into 4 ohms.

I get useful output down to 16Hz ... how do I know? Bcoz I have a test track on an otherwise normal Bach organ LP which has 10s each of:
* 16Hz
* 12Hz, and
* 8Hz.

My Maggies by themsleves can't deliver any of these frequencies ... but, since I added the subs, I can hear the 16Hz note loud and clear.

I do have the subs on for music (there's no TV in the system) - they add bass heft to my Maggies. (But, from measuring the response with REW, I've been able to dial them in so I don't have the bass heavy response that Hugh talked about ... they just add a bottom end to the Maggies that is sorely missed, without them. My miniDSP unit has 4 stored configs - one config is with the Maggies playing full range and subs muted ... it's obvious which is the better-sounding config. )

Andy

Maya 200 Current outputHide this!Advertise here!