Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 3rd March 2019, 10:37 AM   #61
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

One of my tweaks/mods of my AV Marantz SR4500 was to increase the bias -> better sound too. More bass and clean sound. Music with more energy. 3-D? I think the same... 2-D , but usually I listen to in near field, unless the music excites me, now more frequently than a week before!

Well, Hugh must to know something

Last edited by maty tinman; 3rd March 2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:07 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
Sorry, I have no idea, maty (but I don't think bias changes power output - this depends only on the +/- DC rails).

Make the change (to 60mV bias) and see how it sounds!

Andy
Higher bias: class AB amps work like class A few watts more, if I am not wrong. In my AV -> only more bass and cleanner sound. And more heat but until reasonable, even in the Mediterranean summer.

You are right, I should have asked better: how much the NAKSA 80 works as class A and how much with the new bias?

Last edited by maty tinman; 3rd March 2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 5th March 2019, 11:10 AM   #63
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Maty,

I have not experimented with the NAKSA, or the new SAKSA, under heavy bias. I have tried it at 150mA, and aside from producing quite a bit of heat, it does sound richer and more scale.

When you do this you increase the range of both outputs on. At 150mA quiescent, I make this range 6Vpp on LTSpice, which corresponds to 36/64=547mW, not a lot of power in Class A, but probably worthwhile for very quiet listening. Certainly the transitions are very smooth and well controlled.

Hugh
Old 5th March 2019, 11:15 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Only one more question.

From NAKSA 80, brochure: "300VA toroid with two 30 Vac secondary windings"

How much higher could the voltage be? With (or not) the N80 heatsinks.
Old 5th March 2019, 11:20 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

I must be blind: "Do not exceed 45 volts (42 volts recommended)"
Old 5th March 2019, 10:53 PM   #66
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Maty,

I don't like to go over 45V on these 280W mosfets. Reason: the heatsink needs more capacity at 50V, and I have some belief that stability and longevity is superior under 50V rails.

But they are very low Rdson, around 100 milliohms, so they really do drive rock and orchestral music very well.

Hugh

Increasing the bias current on my NAKSA80s & Sorayas ... seems to be a good thing!!Hide this!Advertise here!