Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 19th October 2017, 09:45 PM   #31
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf View Post
Well...let me first say that both amps are IDENTICAL.
I even switched the amps around, to check for flaws and whatever amp is connected to the mini monitor SF, is the one getting HOT.

I do NOT listen to high SPL. In fact...with the amp just idling with no sound, there is a significant temperature difference between them !

I will measure exact temperatures with a proper thermometer and get back here .
Facts are much more reliable than guesses.
"I can testify my own application, where i have 2 Mayas driving 2 different speakers in same room.

Both Mayas have identical construction and identical vertical fin heatsinks.
Maya 1 is on top of the rack, nothing on top of it and never gets more than warmish.
Maya 2 is on middle shelve of the rack, with about 5cm of space above it. This amp gets HOT ! Very different. Plus it is driving an easier speaker (although they both are 4 ohms rated)."

Hi Saf,
The quote is from your Post #44 in the Maya thread, and clearly describes your setup and situation.
Have you given thought to possibly rearranging things a bit and giving the HOT amp in the middle of the rack a bit more space for ventilation?
No matter what, more ventilation never hurts.
Old 19th October 2017, 10:16 PM   #32
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Felipe,

Steve has a point. Here's a simple test:

Leaving the two amps in the same spot, swap over the speakers, so that the hard working amp is at the top with no shelf above.

It should run much cooler then, whilst the lower amp will still be hot with the 'easier' speakers.

I suspect it's just a ventilation/convection issue.

I can certainly agree that all your five modules are all identical!

Thanks for your careful thoughts..... are you as happy now with the sound quality as three months back? Do you still have your Father over listening during your evenings? I wish I'd had a Father who loved music, my Pa was tone deaf, absolutely hated violins - yet his Mother was an accomplished pianist. The music gene is strange....

Hugh
Old 19th October 2017, 10:44 PM   #33
bogdan_borko is offline bogdan_borko  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf View Post
Well..

I do NOT listen to high SPL. In fact...with the amp just idling with no sound, there is a significant temperature difference between them !
if it's geting hot with no sound, then try to turn off the speakers and see if the amp cools down? I hope the heatsinks and bias values are equal in both amps...
Old 20th October 2017, 04:30 AM   #34
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Saf,
I finally got smart and looked at all the nice photos of your amp cases on your thread. It's easy to see what's going on here.

The heatsinks are internally mounted much as Hugh does in his Maya case, as shown in post #18. However Hugh's case has a large opening directly under the heatsinks and a row of vents directly over the heatsinks on the top.
Your case has a row of small vents across the back of the top of the lid, and I don't see any other vents anywhere.

You seem to have access to good metalworking. Thus it shouldn't be overly difficult to have a row of largish vents cut into the case lid directly over the heatsinks. That should cure your heat issues.

At the very least have this done for the amp you use with the SF Mini monitors. The heat buildup inside that particular amp case does not do anything any good,

Steve
Old 21st October 2017, 12:46 AM   #35
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Increasing the bias current on my NAKSA80s & Sorayas ... seems to be a good thing!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
my daughter was married in Manhattan today
I missed that post !

Congratulations to your family Hugh !!

This is a far more important thing than tinkering with bias current!
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 21st October 2017, 03:32 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Thank you Bigun!!
I will even put in a picture........ both waiting for their turn at the Civil Registry at Manhattan at 2:30 on Friday last.
She married a Yankee, a lovely guy we really like, and I hope they make each other very happy!! His Mother, Denise, is very welcoming and adores Alessandra, wonderful to have another doting Mom on her chosen continent!
Pity I couldn't be there, but Sri was there, my brother, and my eldest daughter, Soraya.
Needless to say both my daughters enjoy SAKSA amplification in their homes....

Cheers,

Hugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlessWedding2.jpg (196.1 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by AKSA; 21st October 2017 at 03:35 AM.
Old 21st October 2017, 05:09 AM   #37
Samuel Jayaraj is offline Samuel Jayaraj  India
diyAudio Member

Congratulations Hugh and may God richly bless the newly married couple.

Quote:
Thank you Bigun!!
I will even put in a picture........ both waiting for their turn at the Civil Registry at Manhattan at 2:30 on Friday last.
She married a Yankee, a lovely guy we really like, and I hope they make each other very happy!! His Mother, Denise, is very welcoming and adores Alessandra, wonderful to have another doting Mom on her chosen continent!
Pity I couldn't be there, but Sri was there, my brother, and my eldest daughter, Soraya.
Needless to say both my daughters enjoy SAKSA amplification in their homes....

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 21st October 2017, 08:40 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Thanks Sam! You are a very nice guy, pity we live on different continents......

Hugh
Old 21st October 2017, 09:48 AM   #39
Samuel Jayaraj is offline Samuel Jayaraj  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Sam! You are a very nice guy, pity we live on different continents......

Hugh
Thank you Hugh for the compliment. Some day, my family and I could plan a holiday in Australia, God willing.

I am so happy to see you come back strong, after a health setback.

Last edited by Samuel Jayaraj; 21st October 2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 21st October 2017, 03:58 PM   #40
Nico Ras is offline Nico Ras  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Congratulations Hugh, what can I say, you are a lucky man and have a beautiful daughter. So sorry you could not have been there with Sri!

Increasing the bias current on my NAKSA80s & Sorayas ... seems to be a good thing!!Hide this!Advertise here!