Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2017, 04:15 PM   #31
Fitero is offline Fitero  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey Andy,
I'd love to try the Jupiter caps, as well as Duelund, V-Caps and others!

I have always been a blue-collar worker and never have had the funds to really indulge in my audio obsession. The most expensive caps that I ever bought were these Audyn, True Copper ones.

I usually end up using Russian PIO and Teflon caps.

Old 16th May 2017, 07:34 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Well, I spent a little time modifying my preamp to compare the Auricaps that the Maya had originally and the Audyn caps. Both are 1uf.

The Auricaps are definitely more accentuated in the treble. The Auricaps are more musical. Period. This of course refers to my system and my ears, so take with as much skepticism as required.
The next step is going to be to install a set of screw contacts on the Maya boards, just like the ones I have on the preamp, so that I can quickly swap caps without damaging them.
Since the amp modules are completely separate, I will be able to place a 1uf cap in one and a 3,3uf cap in the other and compare instantly solely using the balance controls on my preamp.
I'll update here as I go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0033.jpg (473.0 KB, 371 views)

Old 19th May 2017, 10:38 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I spent the day swapping caps back and forth in first my preamp, then in the Maya.

In the preamp a 1uf, American made PIO ended up sounding superior to everything else.

Adding the little screw terminals to the amp modules made swapping fast and easy.

I used Tidal and streamed it through my Logitech Transporter. I listened to a variety of music to compare the effect the capacitors had on the sound.
For the bass, the main song I used to compare was Bullet from Kill J. Don't ask me how I came across that group, because I have no idea, but it is catchy and clearly recorded. About 30 seconds into the song a low bass tone comes out of nowhere and rises causing your eyes to blur if the volume is "healthy".
With the 3,3uf Auricaps the bass note can't be heard down low and passes without any drama. With the Auricap and Audyn 1uf caps in place the bass slam comes back and blurs your vision.

I was most interested in confirming or rejecting my initial impression that going from 1uf to 3,3uf had reduced the bass output. That was abundantly clear. No doubt now.

Secondly, I wanted to choose a cap that had the right amount of treble for my tastes.
I ended up leaving the 1uf, Audyn True Copper in the Maya. The bass was great, the treble was just sharp enough and the mid-range was nice.

These are the caps that I had on hand to try. They all have several hundred hours on them.
1uf Auricap. Great bass but strident treble.
3,3uf Auricap. Less bass than above. Treble less prominent. OK.
1uf Audyn, True Copper. Nice and smooth overall. It is what is installed now.
0,01uf FT-1, Russian Teflon. I bypassed the Audyn cap with this but the treble became splashy and too pronounced. I quickly cut the leads while playing and the treble dropped back to where I thought it should be.
1uf K42y-2 Russian, PIO Hybrid. I didn't like this one at all. Vague mid-range and less bass. Yuck.
1,5uf Gen1 Sonicap. This surprised me, as in the preamp it sounded too sharp and artificial. In the Maya it sounded overall very nice. A little less bass than the 1uf Auricap and Audyn.

Next week I will re-test the 1uf and 3,3uf Auricaps to try to make sure I am not making biased determinations. I'd like to try a pair of 1uf K40Y-9 too, but I am out of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0036.jpg (969.0 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0038.jpg (375.5 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0039.jpg (323.2 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by Fitero; 19th May 2017 at 10:42 PM.

Old 20th May 2017, 06:38 AM   #34
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter,

This is fascinating news, thank you for doing such a thorough and careful, subjective test. To me such tests are the best of all, because they represent an attempt to describe the sound quality; measurements have their place, but they don't fully describe what it happening.
The latest batch uses a 3.3uF MKT Vishay 1837 series polyester cap. I feel it's a bit more bassy than the Auricap, but the customer base might have other views, we shall see.... certainly the 'air' and clarity is very clear.

Thanks again, this is incredibly helpful for me as the chooser of my C1 on the Maya!

Cheers,

Hugh

Old 20th May 2017, 01:04 PM   #35
twinter is offline twinter  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero View Post
... About 30 seconds into the song a low bass tone comes out of nowhere and rises causing your eyes to blur if the volume is "healthy"..
The natural resonance frequency of the human eye ball is 19 Hz, so good chance the low frequencies were in this range. One may also see apparitions (ghosts) when exposed to high amplitudes of these low frequencies.

See the interesting link:
Could A Sonic Weapon Make Your Head Explode? | Popular Science

Old 20th May 2017, 04:01 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the kind comments Hugh.
I am not done with my capacitor search. I will get a pair of the MKT1822 that you are using now and give them a try. My parts tin always has space for some more capacitors!

I got a chuckle from reading your post Twinter. I could imagine my poor eyes rattling around my noggin repeatedly while listening to the music. Haha.
Thanks for the link to the interesting article.

Old 21st May 2017, 06:05 PM   #37
sene is offline sene  Jamaica
diyAudio Member

I have just recently bought a pair of Maya modules from hugh and i cant wait for their arrival.I have a Lifeforce that has been going strong for over nine years and the led lights are still on.I have tried different input caps on this little gem and they do makes a difference.I have lost count of the amount i have tried but the ones that i remember well was mundorf,black gate and duelund.Of those the Duelund Alexander was by far the most superior and they have remained in my system.They took forever to break in but when they did the angels in heaven could not have sung better!One capacitor does not make an amplifier but this little 55watt has no right to play like this.I would like to try the jupiter copper foil 4.7uf in my Maya but they are very expensive.If anyone has tried the jupiter please post.The Lifeforce used to be a tad bass shy but that is used to be...the higher value caps did make a significant impact on the bass and also improve on the music presentation in general in my Lifeforce ymmv.Dueland jam is the new cap on the market and claim to be a better performer and is much cheaper than jupiter...where is the verdict?we shall hear...

Old 22nd May 2017, 03:36 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Thanks Sene!

Ah, the old LF, which started my first unconventional designs back in, around 2004?

I felt the AKSA was good, but I could do better, and after studying feedback theory I figured that a more accurate error signal would improve fidelity. It seemed to give much more resolution and bring up the bass, and then I gave the amp nested feedback to increase linearity before the output stage. That worked too, but them came the Soraya, and I was on a roll for another ten years. How time flies........

You will have your Maya modules in a couple of weeks, Sene, when you see your daughter! Then you will have your 2JZ Benz running too..... BTW, my Cressida is almost run in now, and returning 10 litre/100kms around Melbourne with the new engine. I'm over the moon about it; I have improved torque, smoothness AND economy, all my increasing CR to 9.7.

Cheers,

Hugh

Old 8th June 2017, 02:51 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Sene,
Do you have your Maya modules now?
I hope no issues getting them into country and now into a suitable enclosure!
HD

Old 14th June 2017, 04:03 AM   #40
sene is offline sene  Jamaica
diyAudio Member

Hugh
The modules arrived and i am now waiting on a few items.I had to order the heat sinks which should be here shortly and i am still working on getting my two traffos....getting there!

Closed Thread

My Maya 200Hide this!Advertise here!