• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Brand New Super AKSA - the SAKSA 85!

Hi JYG,

The Pass amps are superlative, and the SAKSA, while not Class A, would be a nice foil. I hope you get a SAKSA because I would be very interested in your comparisons. I have a notion that the SAKSA will have more depth of image, but I'm guessing because I do not know which Pass you are using. How much watts does it throw into the room?

An SAKSA will create 20W into the room for a stereo, and this is a lot lower than the Pass!

Hugh

Hi JYG,

The Pass amps are superlative, and the SAKSA, while not Class A, would be a nice foil. I hope you get a SAKSA because I would be very interested in your comparisons. I have a notion that the SAKSA will have more depth of image, but I'm guessing because I do not know which Pass you are using. How much watts does it throw into the room?

An SAKSA will create 20W into the room for a stereo, and this is a lot lower than the Pass!

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

It is a Pass Aleph 3 amplifier. I believe it is 250W heat output.

Pass Labs Aleph 3, at Stereophile

Pass Labs Aleph 3 power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

PAl3FIG6.jpg

PAl3FIG8.jpg

I do not like:

PAl3FIG7.jpg

[ The Pass Aleph 3's measurements, while not striking in any particular respect, are nevertheless good, and are very respectable for a single-ended design. Used within its power limits, it is reasonable to conclude that any particularly appealing sonic signature of the Aleph 3 is probably not the result of a euphonic—but inaccurate—distortion or frequency-response deviation. I wish I could say the same for the single-ended tube designs that have crossed our test bench. ]

[ I do, however, advise caution concerning your overall system gain with the Aleph 3. Its 20dB voltage gain is unlikely to be adequate when used with a "passive" or very-low-gain preamp and loudspeakers of typical sensitivity. (The gain of different amplifiers varies, but most of those we have measured have gains 6-9dB higher than the Pass.) ]

Technical:

The amp has a THD of 0.06% at 12.5W, 1KHz into 8R, 97% being H2 and H4
All fuses are 10A. Slew rate is 15V/us, 1dB down at 12Hz and 150KHz (LP filter in place).

Subjectives:

Very strong bass and midrange. Top end utterly clean. Lots of speed, PRAT, and engagement. You close your eyes, and tap your foot. Very spatial, you can 'see' the instruments in place front to back on a large orchestra. HUGE soundstage and very low intermodulation on choir and orchestra...

THD to dB - convert percent % to decibels dB percentage voltage % vs per cent converter THD+N total harmonic distortions calculation signal distortion factor attenuation in dB to distortion factor k in percent decibel damping - sengpielaudio Sengpiel

THD 0.06% -> -64.43 dB

Last edited:
Yes, JYG, it can be done, but it will give you only 30V rails and the power will be reduced to 45Wrms each channel. There may be some dimension changes at the modules, which will attract some revision fee, and I cannot guarantee the subjectives when this is done.

I really suggest you use the recommend transformer, a 300VA conventional toroid with two independent 30Vac secondaries.

Hugh

Hi Hugh - Oh my gosh this amp is phenomenal.
It is big improvement on the Naska.
I use it all the time as my tv sound system and music player.
My system has the GK1 with some speakers I made back in the earlier 2000s (Dave Ellis 1801b).
The Saksa85 amp brought new life in the speakers in both bass range and imaging.
I haven't had time to do any of the capacitor upgrades on the GK1 or the 1801b but now I will delay this effort again because it sounds too good :)
Truly marvelous.

Currently enjoy The Union - Elton John/Leon Russell
The piano sounds truly superb.

Thanks so much.
John

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, John,
Thank you for posting your terrific comments - this is wonderful for me, as the development of the SAKSA took years - as you understand, making something simple with low count parts takes forever, refinement is really difficult.
You know I developed a second version of the GK1 about ten years later after I'd learned a few more tricks. I could not improve on the tube, however, and never did market it; only the SS front end was changed!
Thank you again, actually, I love Elton John, and often play his music - as a child I learned piano and later the pipe organ, this was were I learned some of the psychoacoustic lessons about recorded music. He is a terrific piano player too......

Hugh

Received a SAKSA 85 amp recently. Using it power the 2-way horn channel of my 3-way speaker system. No noise from the horns on idle with the amp (big tick). Replaced a Bakoon AMP-12R. The saksa has a more full bodied and 'solid' presentation. Very good detail retrieval, but still sounding natural.

My first aksa amp. Im super impressed!

Well done Hugh!

Attachments

• CCF8DD00-5AF2-4627-85F3-0FF9CC037089.jpg
    CCF8DD00-5AF2-4627-85F3-0FF9CC037089.jpg
    988 KB · Views: 432
Thanks Tuyen!! High praise indeed........
The SAKSA was an inspired design; the front end is very unusual, an asymmetric current mirror loading a supermatched long tailed pair. It gives wonderful harmonic profile, with a dominant second harmonic, conferring the tube moniker many customers use.
Thank you for the leap of faith!

Hugh

I have just received a very nice report on a SAKSA sold to Peter, living in Slovak Republic. He and his son love audio, like so many in my customers, and they both wrote this outstanding review as here:
I have had Saksa 85 running at home for a few days now. Although I have only listened to it for about 10 hours, from the first moment it was clear to me that I would love it for life! I was afraid of disappointment as I was buying it, but positive forum reviews and the credibility of Mr Hugh Dean convinced me. I quickly installed it into an ugly plastic box. What was my impression when I first heard the SAKSA? Exactly the opposite of my poor installation! I had nothing nicer on hand than that blue ugly box. It was obvious from the first note that I had never heard anything better in my home system. Each component is nicely separated from the others, and all have their purpose, color, and dynamics. Finally, I can clearly hear the bass of all my recordings. Gutsy sound! Even less dynamic tracks are a pleasure to listen to. The sound is musical and pleasant. At high levels there is a rich sound field even in my smallish room of 5m x 5m. I have owned a Pioneer SA 9800 for some time. In good condition, it sells for 1800 euros. I quite liked its sound. However, in my opinion, Saksa 85 is much better. My adult son also really appreciates the wonderful sound of SAKSA. I could write a lot about the subtle nuances which I now hear clearly. However, nothing replaces the hearing experience. I will ensure that the SAKSA 85 gets the nice cabinet it deserves. The two 200VA EI transformers are used here due to the smaller size, and the laminations are grain oriented silicon steel, good for audio use, and EI transmits less noise from the mains supply.

Thank you Peter! You made my day!

Cheers,

Hugh

The fourth version of the Maya is a revelation. More scale, more resolution, more bass and a quieter background I am very, very happy. It is truly my flagship product and with the Titan I am considering dropping the SAKSA 85.
Just saw this post in the Maya 4 thread and wanted to ask if the SAKSA 85 is going away?

Here's a funny flashback, When I was in the UK, I think the year was maybe 1999 or 2000! I was running a Primare A20 class AB 70w integrated with Dynaudio Audience bookshelves. I got in touch with a friendly DIYer who came round with his (I think) AKSA 55. The soundstage compared to the Primare was humungous, with the image jumping out of the speakers, and with luscious tone. If the SAKSA 85 improves on that, then well, I'd think it a shame if the least expensive AKSA product isn't there anymore, given that Hugh said it was in fact more capable with 4ohm speakers than the Titan?