Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 7th May 2018, 03:40 AM   #111
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Brand New Super AKSA - the SAKSA 85!
HatlessChimp,

Thanks for sharing the listening impressions.

Hugh, that is one big and powerful bike!
Old 7th May 2018, 03:43 AM   #112
HatlessChimp is offline HatlessChimp
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
HatlessChimp,

Thanks for sharing the listening impressions.

Hugh, that is one big and powerful bike!
The video does it no justice. Hope to upload some good stuff soon.

YouTube
Old 7th May 2018, 04:49 AM   #113
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Zia,

The ZRX Kawa is the best bike I've ever owned, and I've had a few, starting at 18 with Brit twins. I bought it used three years on in 2004, and it's still in my garage with no cost aside from tyres, chains, filter and oil after 14 years of light use. The Kawa is a sports tourer of 122 bhp but pulls well from 1500 rpm in fifth gear, the torque spread is remarkable - 40kmh to 245kmh in fifth is unusual for something that comes out of the 1/4 traps at 200 kph.

I see many similarities with the mechanical and audio world. High performance in audio is an illusion; as it is in the mechanical world. The psychology of numeracy seduces you into the figures, but they do not reflect the actual operation in day to day use. You need easy use and relaxed delivery, for amps and engines. Too much loop gain and loads of negative feedback delivers the figures, but leaves you cold; the 'drive' is not satisfying. Give me a low stressed design every time; there is no replacement for displacement. That is one of the reasons I use 1040W mosfets in my new Maya, you cannot break them.......

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 7th May 2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 7th May 2018, 11:05 PM   #114
HatlessChimp is offline HatlessChimp
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the kind words Hugh.

Back to the SAKSA 85 - plenty of beautiful meaty bass there. Nice tone to it. Nice match with my Kefs.

Sad thing for me is it looks like the DAC in my Yamaha 3050 AVR cant compete with what my Oppo UDP 203 has. Will have more of a play tonight to make sure I don't have some weird settings engaged. But at this stage it looks like the Yammy has an inferior DAC. It's was all good, I was more than happy before with the sound I had but now I've experienced the sound of Oppo + SAKSA + Kef Ci5160rl-thx and now the Yamaha 3050 + Rotel 1585 + Kef Ci5160rl-thx setup just don't cut it anymore for me. Its the only thing with audio once you have bought your system best not to listen to better equipment otherwise you can only hear what your missing out on from there on out. I'm genuinely scared for my ears/brain when Hugh brings around his Maya200 and hook it up to my Kefs!

Last edited by HatlessChimp; 7th May 2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 8th May 2018, 06:46 AM   #115
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

The AV and Receivers usually do not have very good DAC to play very good music records. And the DAC technology has improved a lot in few years. The A2050:

[Polish] Amplitunery AV - testy sprzętu

to English with Google:

Google Translate
Old 11th May 2018, 01:35 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

Yes, Chris, as you upgrade your system holes appear you have to fill with even more upgrades...... it never ends!

Thank you for the plug on the YouTube, terrific!

Hugh
Old 25th May 2018, 01:23 PM   #117
saf is offline saf  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
Zia,

The ZRX Kawa is the best bike I've ever owned, and I've had a few, starting at 18 with Brit twins. I bought it used three years on in 2004, and it's still in my garage with no cost aside from tyres, chains, filter and oil after 14 years of light use. The Kawa is a sports tourer of 122 bhp but pulls well from 1500 rpm in fifth gear, the torque spread is remarkable - 40kmh to 245kmh in fifth is unusual for something that comes out of the 1/4 traps at 200 kph.

Hugh

I cannot imagine you driving at 245 Kph on a motorcycle..
Do you really do ?????
Old 26th May 2018, 12:09 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

No, Felipe, I do not ride at this speed at all! I have been at 208kph many years ago, but sadly I was overtaken by a Police pursuit car in 1981. My fine and loss of licence was inevitable and caused me to rethink my speedy ways.....

However, to see how these are possible, watch a You Tube of the Isle of Man. Here's Peter Hickman in a virtual ride of the circuit in 2017. Stay with it, it shows how skilled and brave this guy really is:

YouTube

This races your heartbeat, I can tell you. At one stage they come through a small village and high a bump in the road at 250 kph and ALL the bikes lift one metre off the ground. They have to be pointed in the right way when they land, I can tell you, but this is common practice in motorcycle road racing. Those guys are all madmen, and a few lose their lives, it's a game of roulette....

This week I have despatched two Mayas, built up to the transformers which will be put in by their new owners. One to the US, the second for him, and one to Norway. Next week I have another Maya to go to France, the second in the Montpellier area.

Life is pleasant enough as I enter my 68th year. I must thank all my customers for keeping me busy and healthy!

Ciao,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 26th May 2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 29th May 2018, 01:27 PM   #119
saf is offline saf  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hugh it is so nice to hear that you are doing well and pleased with the life your are living ! This is great ! Also very happy to know that the Maya is selling well and new owners born each day throughout the world ! This must be very satisfying and impart a true sense of achievment in you.

I have been restoring a pair of old classics, they are now almost finished.
These are back from the 80's and very good design : B&W DM2
The tweeter were burned, so was the super tweeter. They got new drivers, and a good polish and wax. They loook as good as they sound now!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I will be putting them into good use, in a cousin's home.

All the best
Old 16th June 2018, 05:43 AM   #120
obscurus is offline obscurus
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Sorry for out of topic a bit. Could I ask which type of capacitors did you use on amp part of SAKSA85? ( Not the psu part ).

Brand New Super AKSA - the SAKSA 85!Hide this!Advertise here!