• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Maya200

Hi Andy!

Good tip for the miniDSPs!

I am using digital filter/DSP modules (DCN24) from Ground Sound. These are 4-channel analogue in/analogue out modules, and one module is used in each speaker. Currently, I am only using 3 channels, though, as the two bass modules in each speaker are being fed the same signal, although they have an amp each.

The DCN24 modules are discontinued, but are really well made, using high-quality ADC and DAC converters as well as opamps specifically made for audio.

My audio chain is still essentially analogue, as I have a fairly good turntable/cartridge/RIAA combination and many good LPs, but I guess that at some point a high-quality preamp with a very good ADC/RIAA and filter/DSP capabilities might come along to change that ;)

Meanwhile, Ground Sound is still open for repairs, should I need that.

I agree that DACs can make a major difference in sound, but it's always a combination of the DAC chip itself and the surrounding circuitry, including - and especially - the analogue output, if that is used.

Last year, I changed the external DAC in my system to a better one - and the improvement easily came through the DCN24s - which tells me they are not a bottleneck :)

Sorry for the off-topic rant - right now still waiting for the toroids for my Mayas before I can move on with them!

Cheers,

Jens

How are you coming along with your Mayas, Jens?

Any progress?

Hugh
Hi Hugh,

I got the toroids for the Mayas last week (from Toroidy), while I was putting on a new roof on our winter garden.

I am hoping to start working on the complete amplifier upgrade that I am going to do in connection with the installation of the Mayas this weekend.

It's not a small thing ...

But I'm really looking forward to getting the Mayas installed :)

Will keep you posted!

Cheers,

Jens

So, I started work on the total amp makeover for my speakers Sunday, and I have removed all existing amps.

Also, I have fitted, but not wired the Ground Sound amps for the bass drivers, and next step is to get the heatsinks for the Mayas re-drilled. I am re-using the NAKSA 100 heatsinks - with lower power and easy loads (efficient tweeters and midrange drivers), this should be fine - as already discussed with Hugh.
More later :)

Cheers,

Jens

Thanks, Hugh!

Mayas are now fitted on re-drilled heatsinks and ready to be mounted on speakers. I'm waiting for a few minor items, which - with a little luck - should arrive this week.

While I wait, a few other preparations and smaller changes are being done ;)

I hope to be able to move on quite a bit next weekend - fingers crossed. If all goes well, I might be able to listen to beautiful music next week :)

Cheers,

Jens

Attachments

• Maya200.png
    Maya200.png
    755.9 KB · Views: 257
First fitting

I finally got to the point today where I could make a first fitting of all the amps and toroids :)

No wiring or anything done yet - that's next step.

I'm sure you can make out where the Mayas are ;)

Cheers,

Jens

Attachments

• Copy of Equilibrium 3.jpg
    Copy of Equilibrium 3.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 343
Mayas wired up and playing!

After a lot of brain gymnastics, I finally worked out solutions for the complete re-wiring that was necessary in connection with implementing the Mayas, and I now have one speaker up and running! :note::note::note:

It definitely pays off being particular about the wiring and grounding, and I have complete silence when no music is playing ;)

One speaker down, one to go (which should be easier, as I am copying the wiring solutions from the first one) :)

And even with just one speaker playing, it's very easy to hear what the Mayas do - but more about that later!

Cheers,

Jens

Attachments

• P1010688 (2).jpg
    P1010688 (2).jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 292
  • P1010686 (2).jpg
    P1010686 (2).jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 275
Wow, Jens, wonderful!!
And Wow to Raj, he is hugely fast on the keyboard!!
We await your considerations when you have your impressive speakers on line.......

I wonder how Bjarne is coming along? Has he been through all his Heavy Metal five times over now?

Good luck with the wiring of the speakers and congratulations at good earthing. A black art.......

Ciao,

HD

After a lot of brain gymnastics, I finally worked out solutions for the complete re-wiring that was necessary in connection with implementing the Mayas, and I now have one speaker up and running! :note::note::note:

It definitely pays off being particular about the wiring and grounding, and I have complete silence when no music is playing ;)

One speaker down, one to go (which should be easier, as I am copying the wiring solutions from the first one) :)

And even with just one speaker playing, it's very easy to hear what the Mayas do - but more about that later!

Cheers,

Jens

:cool:

Andy

Mayas fully operational and music flowing

Finally - late last night I got the last pieces of wiring done on the second speaker :)

Today, while working from home due to the virus, I was able to listen just a little bit, and even though I had a good listen to the Mayas when I was visiting Hugh a few years back, initial impressions were "WOW"!

Such clarity, space, and detail I have never heard from my system before! :happy2:

I will not go further into it right now, but I'll be back with further impressions - and a few more photos - after I (hopefully) have had time for a good listen over the weekend ;)

Cheers,

Jens

Jens,
I really was hoping for this....... I am delighted you love your Maya, and I believe that this is probably my best amp yet. Fortunately I come up with new ideas and components are improving all the time so it is possible that at age 75 I might yet have a successor!! But for that pivotal moment this is my best.
Thank you for your results, and for your perseverance... I wonder how Bjarne is getting along with his heavy metal repertoire? Bjarne, do you have any Ramstein albums? I really liked that one, it is very good music.

Ciao,

Hugh

Hi all
it is lovely to hear that Jens are close to finish,,,it will be really good i am sure

and for my heavy metal,,,,,i am more to melodious rock,,,like Steppenwolf,,,Black Sabbat

but also this ,,Jacques Loussier Trio play Bach, Marcus Miller plays Tuto (Miles Davis)

Ramstein is a bit to hard for me,,

and this is one of the Maya big advantages ,,,it playes all music with authority,,,

Best Bjarne