• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Maya200

Suresh,

Congratulations on completing your build.

Great job on the DIY case - from the pics I cannot see any joining marks, and the corners look nice and tight. Maybe a a bit OT, but what did you use as an etch primer for the aluminum before powder coating?

The Maya PCBs look beautiful. Have you put them facing upwards so that they can be viewed through the see through top plate? :)

Hi Raj,

Very nice case with lots of ventilation and lovely Perspex case, WOW!

We have talked about the horizontal heatsinks, Steve mentions it too, but if it is not getting hot all is well in a domestic audio system.

To constrain the AC emissions and wiring I'd suggest you twist the secondaries - and the primary - and enclose in heatshrink. Twisted wires hugely reduce AC emission and all your red wires are running AC current.

Your case is elegant. I wish I could have access to good metalskill at moderate price. Australia is so expensive now, arguably one of the most expensive countries in the world.

Thank you for showing your Maya, Raj, I hope it gives you huge pleasure for many years.

Ciao,

Hugh

Thanks Zman01 . Thanks for Hugh and Steve for your suggestions on heat sink placement. i didn't got it when hugh said earlier but now steve's comment made me to think twice . i will do all modification suggested and post the final one. i can gaurantee good metalskill at moderate price but what about the shipping cost to australia?

after maya purchase Narendran met me yesterday . we are going to have listening sessions this week . will let you know his feedback as well.

As per suggestions here is the assembly with wires twisted and on sleeve, heatsink reoriented .

Attachments

• maya1.jpg
    maya1.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 574
  • maya2.jpg
    maya2.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 566
Thank you Raj,

You did a great job; this looks a professional, beautifully built stereo amplifier and it will be cooled a little better too. The only issue with the fins is that are not vertical, but exposed as they are horizontal it will never get too hot.

I hope my suggestion did not offend; but I love all wires twisted and clothed!

And you are right, the metalwork shipping is very expensive to Australia! The only solution is to buy all the machines and do it myself.......

We await your audition next week!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi guys,

I have read praises about the Maya, claiming its a power beast, and i am currently thinking of it, to power a dificult pair of speakers (Amati Anniversario)

506SFAFIG1.jpg

This plot (property of Sterophile magazine by the way) shows that this particular speaker remains most of its audio band under 4 ohms with some phase shifts.

It is in fact a 3 ohm speaker most of the range, with also a combination of 3.8 ohms magnitude and –50° at 68Hz, a frequency where music can have considerable bass energy.

This suggests that in order to perform adequately a high current amplifier design would be a must, one that should be capable to double its power down to 3 ohms. This does not necessarily translate into a 1000W amp, but one that can provide high current with difficult loads.

What are your experiences / insights on this ?
I understand that Hugh may be the person to ask, but i am trusting all you other audio techs out there.

All the best,
Filipe

Felipe,

I believe this speaker would be easy for the Maya.
It will easily drive an ESL63 to high levels and that is close to 8R//2uF.
There is a huge phase margin on the Maya so reactive loads are accommodated easily with no hint of instability.

You mention current capacity. One of the outputs on the Maya is rated at 69A/480W, and the other is at 48A/462W. These are both around 0.05R Zout, and with around 30dB of feedback the drive is magnified by around 25 times taking account of the source resistors too, giving a Zout of 25 milliohms. With a 3R reactance, you would still be driving 99% of the amp output into the speaker and crossover, with minimal losses in the amp and no shortage of current. Theoretically you would need 21A plus 30% accounting for the reactance, say 28A total. This is well within the amp which uses a 64V rail.

That is a difficult speaker, not down to 1.8R from an old Apogee, but close.

Hugh

Last edited:
Listening to the Maya

Just wanted to chip in about the Maya, since I had the good fortune of listening to it for quite some time during my recent visit to Hugh's place.

Right from the start, it was very clear that the Maya is something special.

The first thing I noticed was the wonderful spatial information that it conveys.

But the Maya also has an exceptional clarity, and when it comes to pace and rhythm you don't really think about it, because it is just so right. And there is an effortlessness to the amp, even when playing very dynamic tracks (and I have to note that the Maya I listened to was a low power version - I cannot remember the details, but Hugh may be able pitch in). Not at any time was there any hint of distortion, even when driving the VSonics at high volume.

I'll just briefly mention that treble was very clear and airy without any hint of the sibilance you can get with some SS amps, midrange was open and detailed with very good speech recognition and understanding, and bass was powerful (but no overly so), yet very well controlled (although the very deep bass from organs etc. could not be judged, as the VSonics roll off around 40 Hz).

In conclusion, I find the Maya to be a very musical amp with lots of power potential, and yet nothing has been sacrificed in terms of sound quality - on the contrary! This is a fabulous amp!

If I could afford it, I would order two Mayas right away to replace the two NAKSA 80s currently in my multi-amped speaker system - guess I'll just have to start saving :)

Cheers,

Jens

Wow, Jens, thank you! You are correct, it was a 50V rail, a 125W version. The 65V rail version is a little more dynamic and does over 200W//8R.

You spent a lot of time listening to the Maya and VSonics, and source was Oppo 105, which since I have set up with my HDD is now presenting some wonderful old music I'd laid down on a 500Gb drive ten years back!
You attracted marvellous self-control avoiding the giggle box. I'm addicted to evening TV, although Oz programming is getting worse and worse..... more time listening to music on the horizon!

Thank you for visiting us and thank you for your friendship and wise counsel!
Happy 2017!

Ciao,

Hugh