Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 8th June 2016, 08:39 AM   #31
chcmuzza is offline chcmuzza
diyAudio Member

Default New Maya on Order

Hi Folks

A newbie to Diyaudio here, but a previous lurker, and a long time music lover.

I've ordered a Maya 200 from Hugh as (hopefully) the final upgrade of my 20 year old system.

I'm not an ardent DIY guy, but like tinkering (I'm lucky I have a mate that can help), and a strong desire for a bargain.

I've upgraded from Dynaudio Finale kit speakers to GoldenEar Triton 1's, a modified Esoteric Audio Research 802 pre-amp / Sony SACD player to a Lampizator G5/L5 DAC with volume control, and am looking to replace my Perreaux 250P power amp with the Maya.

I listened to the Aleph (the 100W version) which a friend built, in my current system, and was impressed with the level of inner detail revealed and the general 'rightness' of the sound. Voices sound better also.

I've been doing a lot of research into a Perreaux replacement (I live in NZ so demo's are difficult) and based on that research had a very eclectic short list of amps including:
  • First Watt F7
  • Butler Monad (s/hand)
  • Gamut (s/hand)
  • Ecofan (NZ SE ultra-linear valve based on 6550's)

Interestingly the Maya technology appears to be a cross between the Butler / First Watt and Gamut, insofar as it uses 2x large mosfets per channel (Gamut), and the harmonic distortion profile is mostly 2nd order with the ratio of descending level even / odd harmonic distortion specifically tuned from there (Butler and First Watt).

Having said that, Hugh has gotten to this point through his own research / trial and error. My observation is the parameters that are important to him are mirrored in what are (apparently) excellent sounding amplifiers.

The only 'fail' (if you can call it that) is the Maya is not Class A, but I understand from Hugh that he has conquered crossover distortion.

So the Maya looks like a musical, delicate, powerful, truthful amplifier for what seems to be a bargain price. Can't wait!!!

But it'll be a few weeks yet. Trafo's on order, Hugh's awaiting the new casework for the Maya, then I'll post some impressions against the Perreaux and the Aleph.

Cheers
Old 8th June 2016, 01:57 PM   #32
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Muzza,
Thank you for your post; there are a couple of owners looking at this thread, and I hope Garry/Russell will put in their comments!
I certainly see your Class A comments; I actually went after Class A sound, but with my experience (I'd build a Zen, and then designed one called the Glass Harmony which was a Class A hybrid) I felt that Class A was almost too mellow but lacking in dynamics.... My Class AB amps all feature dynamics - it's a part of the animal. As you say, crossover is a major issue, but I have it pretty much under control now.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 13th June 2016, 01:42 AM   #33
Sound Barrier is offline Sound Barrier  Australia
diyAudio Member

Muzza,

Can't say I've heard any crossover distortion issues even compared with my two SET amps.

Where I think the Maya excels is in its tremendous lack of audible distortion and its large sound field. Its dynamics are also excellent.

Nearly all of my listening is done using the Maya. The reason is I find it beautiful and so easy to live with long term.
Old 13th June 2016, 02:39 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Thank you Russell! Appreciate your input, so much more authentic from a customer than from the designer, who would love his baby even it had polka dot purple spots!

Reading Muzza's post I recognise the concepts of the amps he mentions. Yes, absolutely, in the Maya I was trying to produce very low and higher odd orders, highish H2 and H4, very low phase shift at the 20KHz end, a single pair of very large output devices to obviate the matching issues, and high efficiency. This pointed to AB, and I realise that this might surprise some of the Class A afficionados. There is a lot of information about crossover in the literature, but much of it comes back to careful biasing, correct tempco on the bias generator, and very fast negative feedback which effectively operates to hundreds of KHz. The rest of the amp design addresses component choice and dimensioning, careful pcb layout, voltage amplifier design, independent power supplies, and drive and protection issues for the output devices. Most important is simplicity; the Maya with 8 transistors/mosfets for 200W plus, no more, no less. It is completely discrete; I do not use opamps because I do not need the complexity and fb issues. This is a lesson I learned from Pass, who is a master in this craft. I believe that a simple amplifier is more difficult to design than a complex amp; I have seen 12W Class A amps with more than 40 devices. They achieve vanishingly low THD, but this does not make a beautiful amplifier. Management of THD is more important than minimisation.

Thanks again, Russell!

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 13th June 2016 at 02:43 AM.
Old 20th June 2016, 07:35 AM   #35
suresh is offline suresh  India
diyAudio Member

Dear Hugh,
I have decided to buy Maya 200 . you have a mail from me.
Old 20th June 2016, 01:12 PM   #36
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh View Post
Dear Hugh,
I have decided to buy Maya 200 . you have a mail from me.
I am sure you will enjoy it!

Andy
Old 13th July 2016, 11:15 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

My friend visited Mr. Hugh Dean for purchasing Maya amplifier modules.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20160713-WA0001.jpg (169.1 KB, 406 views)
Old 13th July 2016, 11:27 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Oh, I really need to stop eating......
But Narendra is an very elegant looking gentleman, and he and Sridhar smiled through my chats about audio, life and a farmer's son!

You will have in Sunday, Suresh, I hope you build a lovely case for it!

Thank you for your purchase,

Hugh
Old 13th July 2016, 11:56 AM   #39
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh View Post
My friend visited Mr. Hugh Dean for purchasing Maya amplifier modules.
Just as a matter of interest, Suresh ... whereabouts in India is Cuddelore?

Andy
Old 13th July 2016, 12:01 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

I live in Pondicherry. 20 kms from cuddalore my native place. use google earth to have a look

Maya200Hide this!Advertise here!