Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 23rd June 2020, 08:00 AM   #151
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Bjarne,

It's complicated; it's more about psychoacoustic than engineering......

Each Maya module has 27,200uF, 13,600uF on each rail. Anything more than this increases the charge pulses to the reservoir caps, and this hugely stresses the power supply diodes and transformer and can inject strong spikes into the amp rails. The general rule is 100uF per watt total for an AB SS amplifier, so 200W should be 20,000uF and the Maya is well over that!

Amongst other factors, the subjective power of the bass is set by the impedance of the power supply and the output stage, so it you supply a good size toroid (300VA toroid, one for each channel), and sufficient capacitance it should be OK if the output devices have very low Rdson. But there is a psychoacoustic issue too; it depends on the overall impedance of the output stage, which comes back to the devices chosen and the global feedback levels, but also the amp topology, and how the feedback system is set up and how the loop gain is manipulated across the audio range.

Many amps achieve good bass with very high reservoir banks. The early Krell does this. Big caps mandate a very strong transformer and huge rectifiers to cope with the short charge pulses, and necessarily these diodes are slow and create heavy switching artefacts. Furthermore a big reservoir is very bulky, heavy and expensive, and of course they eventually wear out and must be replaced, particularly if they run hot in a tightly packed enclosure. There are many ways a designer can give an amp punchy, strong bass without using huge reservoir caps and I have tried to mix in a few design features to give the Maya a subjective impression of bass.

My SAKSA has wonderful bass too, and has only 8 x 4,700uF reservoir caps for a 2 x 85W STEREO amplifier, and some customers have remarked on how small the caps are for such a huge sound they hear from their amp. Like everything else, it's design and topology choices.

Ciao,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 23rd June 2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 26th June 2020, 11:58 AM   #152
beardman is offline beardman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

My speaker goes to 2,3ohm in a area about 120hz.....my Lifeforce has no trouble to deal with the low impedans ---18" bass driver--

so i must assume that the Maya have no trouble with the low impedans right ?

if it is a problem for Maya ,,no big deal ,, i have a filter to the 18" who can lift the impedans to about 4ohm

Best Bjarne
Old 26th June 2020, 01:53 PM   #153
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

No problem Bjarne the outputs are rated to minimum 48A however I would expect your bass drivers to be at least 84dB/m for 1W!

HD
Old 26th June 2020, 02:33 PM   #154
beardman is offline beardman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

just super

my speaker has sensitive 95db

this one
The-Loudspeaker
Old 30th June 2020, 07:51 PM   #155
Jens-AT is offline Jens-AT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Low power Mayas

While Bjarne (Beardman) wants the full 200W power of the Mayas for his passive loudspeakers, I am going for four (4) low-power Mayas in my active system

Hugh got my order for these four babies last week!

Since each Maya will just power either a tweeter or a midrange driver (sensitivity for both types around 93-94 dB), I do not need all that power, but I most certainly want the Maya sound!

So what I am going to do is to feed each Maya module with 2 x 25V from a quality 160VA toroid. I guess that will give me around 100W or so (Hugh?) - which is more than enough with drivers connected directly to the amps - no passive components in between

I had the pleasure of listening extensively to a relatively low-powered Maya amp at Hugh's house when I was visiting a few years back. I knew from the very first minutes of listening that this amp was something special - and that I had to get some of these amps! Well, finally got to a point where I can afford the four I have ordered ...

Cheers,

Jens
Old 1st July 2020, 01:31 AM   #156
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens-AT View Post
While Bjarne (Beardman) wants the full 200W power of the Mayas for his passive loudspeakers, I am going for four (4) low-power Mayas in my active system

Hugh got my order for these four babies last week!

Since each Maya will just power either a tweeter or a midrange driver (sensitivity for both types around 93-94 dB), I do not need all that power, but I most certainly want the Maya sound!

Cheers,

Jens
So what are you running on your woofers, Jens?

Andy
Old 1st July 2020, 09:05 AM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
So what are you running on your woofers, Jens?

Andy
Hi Andy,

I am still using four NAKSA 100s, one for each of the four bass modules. Each module now has two 10" Scan-Speak drivers.

These drivers are a bit 'heavier' (less efficient) than the previous 8" drivers, and ideally I would like to have Mayas for this purpose as well (it may come, if I can find the money), but I am going to try some 200W semi-PA modules that I obtained at a good price (used, but in perfect condition and only ever used for home use).

I have heard these modules before and have always liked their sound and 'heft' in the bass area

Cheers,

Jens
Old 1st July 2020, 09:13 AM   #158
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens-AT View Post
Hi Andy,

I am still using four NAKSA 100s, one for each of the four bass modules. Each module now has two 10" Scan-Speak drivers.

These drivers are a bit 'heavier' (less efficient) than the previous 8" drivers, and ideally I would like to have Mayas for this purpose as well (it may come, if I can find the money), but I am going to try some 200W semi-PA modules that I obtained at a good price (used, but in perfect condition and only ever used for home use).

I have heard these modules before and have always liked their sound and 'heft' in the bass area

Cheers,

Jens
Aah, OK - well, with 4 of them ... they should sound pretty damn good!

I've been using a 100w 'Soraya' on each bass panel for quite a number of years ... but have a hankering to see what more power would do to my bass response.

So when I have got my new 'Alpha Nirvanas' working on my 3.2 ohm mids & 2 ohm ribbons ... I will borrow Hugh's 200w Maya and see what that does.

Andy
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:42 PM   #159
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
Aah, OK - well, with 4 of them ... they should sound pretty damn good!

I've been using a 100w 'Soraya' on each bass panel for quite a number of years ... but have a hankering to see what more power would do to my bass response.

So when I have got my new 'Alpha Nirvanas' working on my 3.2 ohm mids & 2 ohm ribbons ... I will borrow Hugh's 200w Maya and see what that does.

Andy

That should be interesting - please let us know what you think

Maya200Hide this!Advertise here!