Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 9th April 2020, 10:03 AM   #141
audiostar is offline audiostar  United States
diyAudio Member

stvnharr,

For the 120W Maya, do you use some different parts like 50V rail, less heat sinks, transformer, etc? So cost of parts for 120W Maya is a little less? Is the 120W Maya more
practical to build? I know most people if not all want a 200W amp.
Old 9th April 2020, 10:24 AM   #142
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi AS,

If you want to reduce the costs and require a lesser output, I have just the product for you, the SAKSA 85.
This can be set up to 50V rails on a pinch - not other changes - and the output devices are extremely robust 280W Fairchild mosfets. This is a very good sounding amplifier, in the same league of the Maya, but normally 85W//8R. With 50V rails you can get around 120W, and at $AUD1060 (around $USD650) you save a lot of money on the Maya.

I misunderstood, AS. I thought you wanted a 300W amp, but it turns out you want a little than the standard Maya 200W! My bad......

Hugh
Old 9th April 2020, 09:31 PM   #143
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiostar View Post
stvnharr,

For the 120W Maya, do you use some different parts like 50V rail, less heat sinks, transformer, etc? So cost of parts for 120W Maya is a little less? Is the 120W Maya more
practical to build? I know most people if not all want a 200W amp.
There is no 120W Maya. It was part of the R&D for the whole Maya project.

However, since Hugh sells the modules and heatsinks as a package, and leaves the transformers for customer purchase, you could purchase Hugh's Maya package of completed tested modules mounted on heatsinks and save a little money by buying transformers with 35V secondaries. However, transformer cost varies more by current rating than secondary voltage, but you could likely save a little bit there. You would also have to inform Hugh of your intentions as it makes a difference in setting the quiescent current when testing the modules.
Steve
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:09 AM   #144
beardman is offline beardman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hope it is ok to write in this tread

Aksa Lifeforce come to life

after some year where the Lifeforce has been hide away,,,i just have made it to play again

and what a surprice,,,it playes really good,,so musical,,with great dynamic ,,
i normally use Gryphon Encore 500w

the reason why i not use the Aksa is my former speakers,,,need much more power

now i use Troels G The Loudspeaker sensitive 95db so 100w is good

and - now i will try the Maya - it must be a very good and with just the right power

Best Bjarne
Old 22nd June 2020, 10:15 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

Ah, the Lifeforce, the first design I discovered how to add palpable depth of image!!
That was a wonderful discovery all those years ago, was it 2008 Bjarne?

I will answer your latest email tomorrow, thanks for the email,

Hugh
Old 22nd June 2020, 10:54 AM   #146
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh
oh ,it is so long ago that i can not remember,,but i think it was about this time

my wife has a comment yesterday evening (when i play some musik dvd ,,)

she said ,why bother to repair the Gryphon,,,this Lifeforce playes so good

i must say ,she is my best criticizer,,,can always hear when i change something

so, i must tell her, that i am sure Hugh have make new amp , that are even better

Best bjarne
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:10 PM   #147
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Bjarne,
Maya is a big step up from Lifeforce. I know. I did that long ago. You will be very happy with the Maya.
Steve
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:58 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

Thanks Steve!

Bjarne,

It is difficult with words and audio. Everyone has different interpretations of common words. Here we go......

The Lifeforce was a major step up from the original AKSA, and the changes were in the input stage, and the feedback network. The Lifeforce gave a vivid, alive sound; terrific resolution, and a remarkable depth of image. The results gave the impression of bright, colorful music; but it was not really subtle, not very integrated, it was 'in your face'. It was a bit raw, not yet refined and smooth, which is the final ingredient of the Maya. The Lifeforce gave me a sense of a strong lamp at each speaker, shining brightly at me in the listening position - very nice, but a bit fatigueing over time, but great for young people! The Maya kept the resolution, improved the imaging, integrated the sound better, and turned down the lamps so you could listen quietly, late at night with a glass of whisky...... if you know what I'm trying to say.

Performance of both is quite similar. THD is about 0.05% for both at full power but the harmonic profile of the Maya is superior; H2>H3>H4>H5. The presentation of an amp is more than THD; you need to know all the elements of the distortion, the harmonics. That principally comes from the topology, then the dimensions, then the component selections. Topology has a huge effect on audio amp presentation.

The Maya is a hugely refined version of the Lifeforce.

Ciao,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 23rd June 2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 23rd June 2020, 01:12 AM   #149
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Maya200
Ah, that description of Lifeforce vs AKSA reminds me of my own experience with the same and I would add that Lifeforce brought punchy bass to the table too.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 23rd June 2020, 05:50 AM   #150
diyAudio Member

A really fine description of the difference in sound from Lifeforce to Maya

one funny thing i noticed on the powersupply ,,the very low total value of caps,,other amp

use sometime 100000uf ,,are the some technical explanation for that ?

Maya200Hide this!Advertise here!