• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

GK-1R remote died... replacing with universal remote?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello AKSAphiles,

The remote from my original GK-1R recently died and I was unable to revive it. :eek:

I'd like to regain the functionality by using a remote like the Harmony 300 that's kicking around in a drawer somewhere in my office, but after a few searches I can't for the life of me seem to find what an equivalent product code would be. :scratch1: If you happen to know how to do this please let me know!

I built my GK-1R about a decade ago to pair with the AKSA 100 that I later upgraded to a 100N, and I've been enjoying them in my system ever since. Great gear! :cool:

Hugh my friend, I'm very glad to hear you're on the road to recovery, and thanks for the years of wonderful music playback you've given us!

Dayne

Hi Dayne,

WOW! Still living in Switzerland, that's been more than a decade now!

I will ask my good friend Ben, the designer of the remote and software code, to see what he thinks........ a decade is not bad for a remote!

Remotes are interesting. They are the only electronic gadgets that reproduce overnight on the sitting room table as you sleep....... I have seen 15 piled up in some people's listening room!

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I just realized that I haven't updated my profile in years :rolleyes: While I did love my 10 years in Switzerland, I've been back in the USA for a while now and recently married a remarkable woman! Life's good. Very good. :)

Thanks for checking with Ben, much obliged. I only use volume up/down and input switching. I never did get HT bypass to work which I handle via an Alps switch in my 100N--one of the few amps with 3 inputs!

A random fact about my GK-1R: every few months it'll switch back and forth between powering up with mute and without mute. I never have detected a pattern, it just has a mind of its own! It doesn't bother me at all, but it's certainly a head-scratcher.

Cheers!

Dayne

I'll sell you my remote for a nominal price, Dayne. Plus postage. PM me if you're interested.

I've never used it after I replaced the motorised pot with a TKD stepped attenuator - I guess 10 years ago. The only point in using a remote, IMO, is to conveniently change volume ... so once that went, I had no further use for it. :)

Mmmm - never had that problem (powering up with mute and without mute). It always powers up with the (on the front panel) right-most source selected, with mute on. I understand this was a feature of the original remote chip and, unfortunately, Hugh has run out of the updated chips.

Regards,

Andy

Thanks to Andy....... however, Dayne, you should check the problem is the remote, and not the GK1 processor. But really to check that your remote should be OK, so check the battery is OK. It might come back to life!

Many people I have spoken in the US seem to be very keen about the Bay area. Certainly SF looks to be a beautiful city (when the mist clears!) but a friend returned home through SF recently and commented on the numbers of homeless people. It's happening here in Melbourne too, lots of homeless people now.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Dayne,

The original GK-1R remote is a Philips TV remote and consequently uses Philips standard TV codes.

If you can get your hands on (borrow?) a Philips TV remote it should be easy to test whether it is the remote or the chip that is acting up ;)

Or, if you have a programmable remote (like the Harmony) you can retrieve the codes from the web and add them to your remote.

I hope some of the above could be useful :)

Cheers,

Jens

The batteries were fine, although one's voltage was a tiny bit lower than the other. I put in a fresh pair and nothing happened. Then I wiggled the spring contacts around and lightly sanded the contact surfaces, put the fresh batteries back in and... presto! I'm not sure what the problem was, but one of the manipulations seems to have restored normal functionality. Happy news. :cheers:

I'd still be interesting in learning how to replace the remote with the universal just to cut down on the pile (I literally have a bag at the end of the sofa to hold the various units), but at least the "R" part is functioning again now.

Andy, thanks for the offer of your remote! Mine seems to have come back from the dead for now, but I could well come back to you in the future.

Hugh, SF has been changing very rapidly, in many ways. Many SW-based Web 2.0 companies set up shop there, Google and now Facebook run shuttle buses down the Peninsula to their big campuses, and systems are being stressed. I live 30 minutes south of SF (= right beside the aforementioned companies) and there isn't an obvious issue with a homeless population... but with the explosion in property prices after the LinkedIn and Facebook IPOs my wife and I are now completely priced out of the housing market. :-/

Hi Jens, looks like our posts crossed! Ok, Philips TV codes it is, so I'll try one out. Thanks for that.

I was briefly in Copenhagen last summer for the first time in 20 years and it was as lovely as ever!

Hi Dayne,

I'm using a Logitech Harmony and have "stored" all my remotes in that one. Works a treat. So if you have one of those, you can actually use the "Learn" function and teach it the functions you want using your original remote (now that it's working again ;)). You do not even need to search for the codes. I believe that some of the other "smart" remotes work more or less the same way.

I have 7 or 8 remotes hidden away in a cupboard instead of having them clutter up the table :)

Have fun with the universal remote!

And if you are in Copenhagen again sometime, give a shout and I'll invite you to my place. I'm only around 7 k away from the Copenhagen city centre :)

Cheers,

Jens

Thanks Jens,

Dayne, this is absolutely true. I used the Philips codes, and therefore a universal remote with learning facility can pick up the instructions with some fiddling.

Because this aspect of the design is beyond me, I never did fully understand it. The genius who did it all, Ben, is now an extremely busy academic and just recently became a Father, so I an reluctant to impose on his time. Actually, along with the implementation issues with the GK1 I dropped it many years ago; service is difficult, and of course the multiple pcbs, microprocessor, the motor driven pot, additional power supplies and relays was a bridge too far for Aspen, particularly as preamps are no longer profitable for me.

This is a pity because I redeveloped a new analog version, the GK2, which was quite exceptional sonically, but cannot sell it for reasonable money considering the email service issues. I then put a lot of time into the design of the power amps, the NAKSA series, where I include all the technology to permit their use without a preamp to deliver the same sonic benefits. Reason: Very few audiophiles these days use phono and tape sources, a preamp with all its mechanical source switching is a waste, and the way the market is going just about everything will be driven from digital sources in the next years. Products like the Squeezebox were the new wave, and can deliver every source from an included remote!

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.