Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 14th January 2015, 09:46 AM   #11
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jens,

Dayne, this is absolutely true. I used the Philips codes, and therefore a universal remote with learning facility can pick up the instructions with some fiddling.

Because this aspect of the design is beyond me, I never did fully understand it. The genius who did it all, Ben, is now an extremely busy academic and just recently became a Father, so I an reluctant to impose on his time. Actually, along with the implementation issues with the GK1 I dropped it many years ago; service is difficult, and of course the multiple pcbs, microprocessor, the motor driven pot, additional power supplies and relays was a bridge too far for Aspen, particularly as preamps are no longer profitable for me.

This is a pity because I redeveloped a new analog version, the GK2, which was quite exceptional sonically, but cannot sell it for reasonable money considering the email service issues. I then put a lot of time into the design of the power amps, the NAKSA series, where I include all the technology to permit their use without a preamp to deliver the same sonic benefits. Reason: Very few audiophiles these days use phono and tape sources, a preamp with all its mechanical source switching is a waste, and the way the market is going just about everything will be driven from digital sources in the next years. Products like the Squeezebox were the new wave, and can deliver every source from an included remote!

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 14th January 2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 14th January 2015, 10:23 AM   #12
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post

Reason: ... a preamp with all its mechanical source switching is a waste, and the way the market is going just about everything will be driven from digital sources in the next years.
Never, Hugh! My GK-2 (which I love) will always have a vinyl source as one of its inputs! But, sure, the 2nd one might be a NAS, rather than a CDP.

Andy

GK-1R remote died... replacing with universal remote?Hide this!Advertise here!