• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Aspen Vsonics speaker grills have been reinforced with carbon fiber rods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New year's resolution was to finally make speaker grills for my Vsonics. A low bar perhaps :snail: This presented a small challenge in that I beveled the edges of the already very narrow enclosures. My solution was to mill small grooves on the backside of the grill frames and bed in 3mm carbon fiber rods with epoxy. The frames are now very rigid :) The speaker openings were beveled on the front side and the perimeters rounded over.
Happy New Year to all!
John

Attachments

• VsonGrill1.jpg
    VsonGrill1.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 195
  • VsonGrill2.jpg
    VsonGrill2.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 185
  • VsonGrill3.jpg
    VsonGrill3.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 185
John,

You have reduced the possibility of future grill damage. Actually I have had one grill damaged due to an attack by the vacuum cleaner hose. The damaged area was duly fixed with PVA glue etc. messy! But I did ponder the use of 2mm diameter fibre glass rods used exactly as you have done as I have many of them doing nothing usefull.

Further news on the VSonic front:- By Easter there will be two pairs of brand new VSonic speakers in stock waiting for prospective customers. They will be finished in Victorian Ash protected by five coats of polyurethane varnish. Of course they will have the Seas CA22RNY mid-woofers and the Scan Speak D2608/91300A tweeter which combine to deliver a very detailed, natural sound with excellent imaging within a wide sound stage.

Please refer to Hugh for prices and availability.

These VSonic speakers are expected to be purchased by local customers as freight and packaging from AUS is not cheap to say the least.

In the meantime there is continuing evolution of the VSonics.

Cheers,

Laurie.

My solution was to mill small grooves on the backside of the grill frames and bed in 3mm carbon fiber rods with epoxy. The frames are now very rigid :) The speaker openings were beveled on the front side and the perimeters rounded over.
Happy New Year to all!
John

Very interesting, John. Can you tell me where I would look for CF rods like you used?

(I'm thinking I could create a similar "perimeter frame" around the edges of my re-framed Maggies which would hold the grill-cloth ... and allow the lovely hardwood used for the new frames to be seen. I currently just have a 'sock' which fits over the whole frame and, so, obscures the wood.)

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,
I happen to have an assortment of cf rods and tubes to support one of my other habits, kite building. There are some world class kite builders in Oz and there must be local suppliers. Another source would be RC model suppliers. They use them for push rods and such, or just a good general hobby crafters supply house.
Can't quite picture what you are trying to do, but let us see the results!
All best,
John

Hi Andy,
I happen to have an assortment of cf rods and tubes to support one of my other habits, kite building. There are some world class kite builders in Oz and there must be local suppliers. Another source would be RC model suppliers. They use them for push rods and such, or just a good general hobby crafters supply house.
Can't quite picture what you are trying to do, but let us see the results!
All best,
John

Thanks, John - I will research kite-building suppliers. :)

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.