• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The Equilibrium Project - powered by NAKSAs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now that I think of it, I never think of 'sound stage' when I go to a concert, I usually think of 'sight stage'. The ability to see what is going on is what grabs me, so I always go for an upstairs seat, the higher the better so that I can see better . The height usually results in better sonics as well.

Back to the organ. When listening to an organ, is it possible to consciously pick out where the individual pipes are, and if so, is there any point to it? I am usually just impressed by the great powerful wash of sound, particularly the bass notes.

ray

No, Ray, it's generally not possible - except for left and right.

A large theatre organ, the type I'm used to, is built with two sound boxes, one on the left, the other on the right.

Each sound box has a louvre system out front which can be closed off to muffle the sound for quiet pieces.

The boxes are essentially cubes, with short pipes at the front, and large at the rear.

Because of the diffractive effect and internal reflections within each box, it's hard to pick out where in the box the sound is coming from, particularly as they don't always face the audience, but are often located left and right of the stage itself.

A church organ is generally built differently, but mostly it's one box, usually located one side of the cathedral or church. A few are central, but all you see are the very large diapason pipes, up to 32 feet tall. Behind them, again, much diffracted and mounted in a box, are the smaller pipes, the picolos, cello, 'horn', vox humana, etc. You may get a perception of depth, but not much information about exactly where these pipes are.

So, in answer to your query, I'd say left right for sure, but no depth information.

Cheers,

Hugh

Well since I was in the Wanamaker's Building a couple of months ago, I am curious what you think the room looks like that houses the organ. It is a department store and I never think of sound stage when I am there when the organ is playing. Usually, I only see and hear it near Christmas when they put on the organ and light show.

An odd story. My wife's best friend from her college days is the grand daughter of George Audsley who built the organ. He created some simple paper Christmas ornaments in star shapes and we have a few of them. My wife hangs them up on the tree along with the other baubles every year.

ray

Ray,

I am fully aware of the location of the Wannamaker organ.

My comparison of the soundstage can obviously only be based on the recordings I have, and this is where I hear a difference (= perceived improvement) with the N100s in place. The N100s render a deeper, wider, and more precise soundstage.

My definition of "soundstage" includes the room and its dimensions. It is true that an organ can hardly be said to have much "depth", but the room certainly does ;)

Cheers,

Jens

It is true that an organ can hardly be said to have much "depth", but the room certainly does ;)

Cheers,

Jens

There is an organ track on the 2nd side ofthe 1st Opus 3 Test LP "Depth of Field" and the notes for this track say something like "Can you hear the 'swell' in front of the xxx".

So on that organ recording, anyway, the engineers were able to display depth. Personally, I would think that there might be several metres between the front pipes and the back pipes ... which sould be as "hearable" as a singer who is standing in the front of the group, with the drums at the back?

Regards,

Andy

There is an organ track on the 2nd side ofthe 1st Opus 3 Test LP "Depth of Field" and the notes for this track say something like "Can you hear the 'swell' in front of the xxx".

So on that organ recording, anyway, the engineers were able to display depth. Personally, I would think that there might be several metres between the front pipes and the back pipes ... which sould be as "hearable" as a singer who is standing in the front of the group, with the drums at the back?

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yeah, organs are different, and so are recordings ;)

Some organs will definitely have several metres between front and back pipes, which - when recorded extremely well - should be "hearable". Other organs have very "flat" builds.

I believe the ability to hear this would also be influenced by the positioning of the microphones - in a huge room (like where the Wannamaker organ stands) with mikes way back it would probably be difficult to hear much front/back difference.

Cheers,

Jens
The Opus 3 engineers certainly know their jobs - I have a few Opus 3 recordings myself.

The other day I had a couple of audio friends over for a "pre-listen" to the system in its current state.

They haven't heard the system in a while and were taken somewhat aback at the new sound :D

In fact, one of them had just been in a place to listen to a USD 400,000 system the week before, but commented that my system actually sounded better - because "it plays music"!

I can think of no other comment that I would rather have :)

Cheers,

Jens

Oh, wow, Jens, this is wonderful to hear and makes my day, even without the six shooter!

There is something about that NAKSA design, it really shines with music. It's a sort of high powered Linsley Hood, I feel. I'm glad it's settled in. The good sound is a credit also to your source and speakers, no question.

This week is to be very important to Aspen, I'm testing the new high powered proaudio amp which is based around the NAKSA topology. I'll keep you updated...

Cheers,

Hugh

The other day I had a couple of audio friends over for a "pre-listen" to the system in its current state.

They haven't heard the system in a while and were taken somewhat aback at the new sound :D

In fact, one of them had just been in a place to listen to a USD 400,000 system the week before, but commented that my system actually sounded better - because "it plays music"!

I can think of no other comment that I would rather have :)

Cheers,

Jens

Nah, Jens, your friends have cloth ears! ;) Bose sounds like music - great hifi system are supposed to sound ... well, like "Hi Fi". :p

Congratulations! :)

Regards,

Andy

Rom - thanks for your comment! Yeah - really nice words from my friends :cool:

Hugh - yes, the NAKSAs have a knack with music, and we all love that ;)
I am in the process of preparing the GroundSound filters for programming, which another friend will help out with - he has had GroundSound for years and knows all the tricks; that should shorten the process!

Andy - I love your irony, but please do not use that nasty 'B' word in this forum - yikes! :eek: :D

Fantastic! looks really good!

Thank you! Mind you - this is still work in progress. I have just finished putting the parts for the electronic x-overs on MDF boards (for easy installation) - see photo.

These will go into the treble/mid enclosures, and once that work (including the wiring) is done, I will be able to enjoy all NAKSAs mounted on the rear. Right now the NAKSA 70s intended for the treble/mid drivers are not in operation, as these drivers are still being driven by off-enclosure NAKSA 100s through the passive filter.

A friend of mine just changed from passive filtering to active operation, using the same GroundSound x-overs that I will be using, and experienced a very good overall improvement, so I can hardly wait to get this done - I believe the GroundSound/NAKSA combination will be absolutely stunning :D

Cheers,

Jens

Attachments

• GroundSound2.jpg
    GroundSound2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Wow, Jens....

What sort of power supplies do the crossovers use? It looks like four separate discrete regulators. This is kinda important - they look very nicely designed.

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

The PSU is very nicely designed indeed. It uses a real transformer and good filter caps, and not some of the very noisy switchmode stuff. And yes, it has separate supplies.

Details for the PSU can be seen here: http://www.groundsound.com/pdfdoc/Ground Sound - PSUDCNII.pdf

Details for the filters themselves: http://www.groundsound.com/pdfdoc/Ground Sound - DCN24.pdf

The GroundSound stuff is very neatly made and has been around for a while. The DCN24 filter that I am using is second generation, also using second generation software. The filters have USB connections and are easy to program with the accompanying software. You can even change settings while playing music!

I've got two audio friends who are already using these filters with very good results -and as I said, I expect the GroundSound/NAKSA combo to be awesome - not least due to the NAKSAs ;)

Cheers,

Jens

Hmmm, Theo, would you be a friend of Peter Roberts, by any chance?

Hugh

No Hugh,

Merely someone who has been in love with Music for all of my life, who appreciates the fact that hi-fi can open a means access to the greater Beauty of Music.

I've never heard one of your amps, but I like the manner in which you consider things 'hi-fi'.

GOD bless you.(And Peter Roberts ;) )

No Hugh,

Merely someone who has been in love with Music for all of my life, who appreciates the fact that hi-fi can open a means access to the greater Beauty of Music.

I've never heard one of your amps, but I like the manner in which you consider things 'hi-fi'.

GOD bless you.(And Peter Roberts ;) )

You need to buy one, theophile. :D

I've been using Hugh's amps for ... maybe, 10 years (ever since I took my Naim 250 over for a shootout against his original AKSA 55 and it blew it away! :) ). Now on the 3rd generation of Hugh's amps (but not the NAKSAs).

Regards,

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.