• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New GK-2 preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hugh,

I have a really good preamp, an OK power amp, OK turntable, Ok cd player, OK speakers. Cannot upgrade at all as I am paying for my kids college education. But don't let my situation stop you guys from buying amps from Hugh. He deserves it.
When you guys upgrade I am happy for you.

Time for the GK-2 to rest in peace? Hugh, when one window closes another opens. Perhaps you can make a more simple and better and cheaper preamp. And we can
call this preamp the NAKSA. I have faith that you will come up with a pragmatic design. You don't believe it? Miracles can happen, it happened to you. Hugh, you are still alive and kicking. And that's a miracle!

Perhaps you can make a more simple and better and cheaper preamp.
Now you've done it!!! :eek: I can hear the cogs churning away in Hugh's head already. Just when I thought my GK2 was one of the best pre's going, a GK3/NAKSA Pre is probably in mental gestation right now and it would be odds on that it will sound brilliant and the parts count will be well down on the GK2. I'll probably have to update :D

GK-2 tube out vs. SS out driving speaker bass section - final comment

I have (finally) made a decision on this!

After using the "tube out" and the "SS out" for driving the bass section of my active, NAKSA-driven speaker system alternatingly for a long time, I have at last come to a conclusion:

By a very small margin, I prefer the "SS out" :)

The differences between the two outputs are very subtle indeed, and the choice is to a very large extent a matter of personal taste on my part - and perhaps also a question of the synergy with my bass drivers. These are currently 8" Peerless HDS polyprops (now obsolete) that have a slightly "dark" sound. Using the "tube out" has a tendency to cause a slight additional "darkening" of the bass.

Also, on a few recordings the "SS out" has an ever so slight edge over the "tube out" when it comes to transients, but the difference is minuscule - and something I would never have given a second thought if I had never had the possibility of trying out the "SS out".

Perhaps I should note that I am using a couple Mundorf Silver/Oil caps on the "SS out", and I have a feeling that the quality of the caps in this position is important, although I have not tried lesser quality caps here (no point, I had the Mundorfs lying around anyway ;)).

I need to stress that I do not feel there is any real difference in sound quality between the two outputs. The bass from the GK-2 is exceptionally good (as is the rest of the sound spectrum), very detailed and well-defined, and with very good weight.

I would also like to point out that my polyprop bass drivers will be replaced by another type of drivers in a coming upgrade of my speaker system, and I cannot guarantee that I will not feel differently when the new drivers are in place (it will be quite a while before I start this upgrade, as it will also mean replacing the fronts of the speakers, and even though these are bolted on and thus replaceable, that is still a major project) - simply because of the sound "signature" of the new drivers.

In conclusion, I would like to congratulate Hugh on creating a fabulous preamp :D

In my opinion, with all the hard work that having been done (both by Hugh and others), and having gotten this baby de-hummified (I have zero hum!), this preamp just needs a nice enclosure and a good remote system (like the one that came with the GK-1R version, and which I still use) to go on the market. More people should be allowed to hear what music can really sound like!

Pair a GK-2 up with any of the NAKSA amps and a pair of good speakers and you can make the leap into audio heaven:cheers:
Cheers,

Jens

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.