• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

In-rush Protection for NAKSA 70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there current in-rush protection built into the NAKSA amps? If not is a soft start circuit recommended?

Hugh and I have a mutual friend who wanted to build my NAKSA 70 during my absence. The rectifiers blew when the amp was powered on. I had a similar problem at his home with a Greg Ball amp, GB150D, and solved it, after repairing the power supply, by adding a soft start circuit.

Jim

Hi Jim,

No requirement for a soft start circuit on the NAKSA, the problem on Paul's is something quite different, relating I believe to LED voltage references. I'm replacing it routinely.

The switch on pulse on the NAKSA 70 is just less than 3V, quite trivial, the switch makes more noise.

Hope this is helpful,

Hugh

Jim,

Your amp is up and running. it is a lovely amp. I reconfigured your on-off switch. I'd originally configured the switch as a AC phase reversal switch [the fuse is always on the 'hot'], that would allow tweaking to minimize leakage currents on the safety grounded chassis.
The switch, with center off, is now configured with one 'on' labeled as 'start' which put a 10 Ohm in series with' hot' to minimize turn on surge. The other 'on' position is labeled 'run' and bypasses the resistor.

Not a fancy soft start, but adequate, if needed.

-Paul

Hugh,

When I put the Naksa70 in my system, I pulled it out to check that hardwired power cord I put in, connected safety ground to chassis and circuit ground..... not the slightest hum or noise with my ear pressed against the speakers. Its the quietest (by that metric) amp I've ever had in my system.
As to imaging, the Naksa70 accurately portrays height information (when in the recording and with speakers capable). Width (including placement outside the speakers positions), and to a lesser extent, depth, are generally easy for a power amp to convey, but accurate height portrayal is far rarer. The Naksa70 gets all 3 coordinates right!

FWIW,
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.