• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Swordfishy/ASPEN FETZILLA power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for kind comments guys.

ratbagp: That is a good point about the slight hum on the right. I'll leave it alone for a while at least because you can't detect any hum over 1m from the speaker. I'm amazed how quiet this amp is actually. Other ones that I've built have always needed the earth scheme sorting. Not this one.

pinnocchio: To get some air flowing round the heat sinks I have raised them up above the base of the cabinet using metal standoffs. You can't tell from the photos. Not ideal but should help a bit. The heat sinks touch the front and back panels of the case which also helps.

Roy,

I'm considering a third group buy at this late stage; 172 of these boards have been sold already at a price of $AUD68 a pair, including small semis and shipping.

However, I have 11 on order right now (or is it 13?) so I'm nearing the end. I would say I will close it off at 20, since beyond that I will need to do another 100 and I'm not confident I can sell another 100.

Cheers,

Hugh

hey i'll take 2 more sets if you do another hehe :) going biamp and just ordered the heatsinks and trannies for the first set of boards i built .

yes i'm a hoarder/collecter . short money for boards for a great amp .

as i said before , if this amp was more widely known as in outside of aksa's board , it would be a going sell out . not sure of forum rules to advert in groupbuy or other forums .

cheers Woody

STOP!! NO MORE ORDERS PLEASE!!

Igor,

The only speaker protection I would use would be DC sense, so that any DC voltage more than +/-2V or so automatically disconnects the speaker.

This is a separate circuit, however, and it mandates use of a relay, which many say degrades the sound quality.

That, I've found, does depend on the relay. The Amplimo product is designed for it and sounds good, I'm told.

Omron make one specifically for this task, but it's hard to find.

I do not use speaker protection on small amps and have never had problems, but, of course, YMMV.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi team - I was lucky enough to stumble across this thread in time to snaffle a couple of boards - have boards/parts/case just need the time and motivation. It strikes me that with so many boards out already that there should be more comments on the sound/performance of this amp. The ones I've seen look promising so I can't wait. I was lucky enough to trial a Naksa 100 amp last week, that was fun. Roll on Fetzilla !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.