• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Swordfishy/ASPEN FETZILLA power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I was just listening to mine this morning before hopping in the car for work! :D

I can honestly say that it is a very pleasing amplifier to listen to. First off, the stage is really wide and instrument positioning is really good. Extremely good separation of instruments. I'm impressed by the extension in the high and mid-high and not to mention a very well controlled bass.

It is also a very transparent amplifier as most will notice. You cannot put a bad recording on it since you'll hear all the crap on the recording but I prefer an honest amplifier (transparent) than something that will do camouflage and have a loss of micro details.

Voice are just amazing on it, especially female voices just wow me almost as if the singer is just in front of me.

If I had to give it an honest rating, I would certainly give it a 8.5/10. Really highly recommended amplifier. Don't be fooled by the 50Watts figure, it shows it has some guts with finesse!

Ciao!
Do

Do,

Thank you for your measured, objective comments. Much appreciated.

8.5, hmmm, I will think on this during the weekend!!

I never thought a FULL fet amp could sound better than most bipolar SS devices, in some ways the design brief was focusses on fets an only fets. That it turns out was remarkable, hats off to Greg and Lineout!

Ciao (a useful word for two guys with first languages of English and French!)

Hugh

Last edited:
Do,

Thank you for your measured, objective comments. Much appreciated.

8.5, hmmm, I will think on this during the weekend!!

I never thought a FULL fet amp could sound better than most bipolar SS devices, in some ways the design brief was focusses on fets an only fets. That it turns out was remarkable, hats off to Greg and Lineout!

Ciao (a useful word for two guys with first languages of English and French!)

Hugh

Actually Hugh, I could give this amp a 9 without hesitation. My goal was not to offend you with my 8.5 score as this is purely subjective but I tried to stay as neutral as possible. And as per my post above it is a fantastic amplifier and it deserve its place in my home. More people should also have been part of this GB and build it.

I've built tons of amplifiers to date and this one is in my top 3 favorite for sure.

All the best!
Do

Hi,I got a Fetzilla Amp these Days,which sounds pretty good so far,but there is some White Noise,which You can hear about 4 M away.Not loud but it`s there.
No Hum.Where might be the Problem,can this be fixed somehow.Can this cause Problems Soundwise,because in some Areas it doesn`t sound clean(kind of nerving).
Regards dt

Troubles,put together my brothers fetZilla and the trouble has started.The first 0,1R between the psu caps on the positive side began to smoke.I couln't measure(across R17-18) the other channel it shows nothing on my multimeter not even over R12.

If you try to measure voltave over a very low resistance you might find that the voltave is very low. ;)
What I want to say is that if you measure no resistance or no voltage over a 0,1 ohm resistor that might just be what you would expect when it's still OK.
If you measure a significant voltage over that resistor it's an open circuit.

My fetzilla has a strange hum issue, I can hear the hum with my ears about 20cm from the loudspeakers. If I connect only the loudspeaker without interconnect cable or with only one interconnect cable to my preamp then no hum at all. If two interconnect connect the preamp at the same time then hum appear no matter the preamp is turned on or off. I use only one transformer for both channels.
Could anybody help me solving this issue!

My fetzilla has a strange hum issue, I can hear the hum with my ears about 20cm from the loudspeakers. If I connect only the loudspeaker without interconnect cable or with only one interconnect cable to my preamp then no hum at all. If two interconnect connect the preamp at the same time then hum appear no matter the preamp is turned on or off. I use only one transformer for both channels.
Could anybody help me solving this issue!
Wouldn't your pre amp causing the problems can you test without one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.