• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Swordfishy/ASPEN FETZILLA power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks,

Yesterday's mailout was these guys:

S PAID 2+P JoMo Adelaide SA Australia
S PAID 2+P Ian Finch Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
S PAID 2+P Ken Lewis LA USA
S PAID 4+P Ron Russell (aka ron.Russell) Kent UK
S PAID 2+P John Kenny (aka jkenny) Dublin Ireland
S PAID 2+P Francis Morrin (aka Woodturner_Fran) Dublin Ireland
S PAID 2+P Vitalica Bucharest Romania - I received on 7 September.
S PAID 2+P Keith Correa Mumbai India
S PAID 2+P Igor Polyakov Newark California USA
S PAID 2+P Steve (aka SRH) Whangarei New Zealand
S PAID 2+P Colin Spargo (aka Col_S) Thirroul NSW Australia
S PAID 2+P Danny (Danny_66) Lierde
S PAID 2+P Aidan Burrows (aka Chalkandtalk) Warrington England UK
S PAID 4+P Woody1911a1 (?) Marblehead , MA USA
S PAID 4+P George Cherhit Sacramento CA USA
S PAID 2+P Tore Martensson Malmoe Sweden
S PAID 2+P Steve Harrison Rock Springs WY USA
S PAID 2+P Doan Chuong (NCC) Hanoi Vietnam
S PAID 2+P John Hambek (aka SoundCzech) Fort Worth TX USA

Today's mailout was these guys:

S PAID 2+P Vitalie Calaras (aka Vitalica) Bucharest Romania (total 4+P) - no news about it ...
S PAID 2+P J Ciunkiewicz (aka JKS) Calgary AB Canada
S PAID 2+P S. Tsoukalas (aka Spirtos) Athens Greece
S PAID 2+P Jonathan Rosser (aka jrosser) Stockport UK
S PAID 2+P CK Ang Singapore
S PAID 2+P J. Nebrus Utrecht Netherlands
S PAID 2+P (name removed at member's request) (aka Andrew T) Heriot UK

LATE EDITIONS: STOP PRESS, PP RECEIVED & PACKAGE SENT:

S PAID 2+P Sandyhooker AZ USA
S PAID 2+P Gennaji Hyderabad India
S PAID 2+P Erik Deinium Groningen Netherlands

I have Nicola Sartori, VZS and Sonnya to go, and all the rest are yet to pay.

Please PM me if you have not been mentioned BUT YOU HAVE PAID.

Anyone doing these mailouts, where identity can at times be confusing, will realise that mistakes creep in. Not intentional, they just happen - the price of being human.

Thanks for patience, all we can do now is wait for the post to come in!!

Cheers,

Hugh

PS I'm building the first FetZilla here, nearly done, here's the picture! HD

Hi Hugh ,

I think it's a problem ...
Packages sent to him on August 30 I received on 7 September.
The second package sent to you on 31 August, was lost.
There are more than 2 weeks and no news about it ...

Best regards :)

Where are you looking? These are standard 1/4" x !" PCB fuseclips and fuses AKA type 3AG. Mouser # 504-1A1120-10 is close, but a better type clip has an end stopper to avoid misalignment. i.e. their illustration G rather than R as listed. These are so-oo common and been around longer than most of us.
'Guess I should say source will be Taiwan, China etc. and sizes may be more suitable from them.

Hello Ian,

I will go back and recheck, I hope you are correct and I missed something. My recollection from yesterday's search is as follows: I found Cooper-Bussman, Keystone, and Littelfuse brand fuseholder clips at Mouser. I follow the links to those manufacturer websites and download the pdfs containing their full line of fuse holders. Then I go through the catalogs reviewing the dimensions. All three manufacturers had clips but the post dimensions were .060" to .064", and their recommended pcb drill size is about .078". I checked the Fetzilla holes with pin gages, they are plated to about .050" to .052".

If I find an exact fit I will post the part number here.

----------
Scoop,

I have used this fuseholder but had to modify it by cutting one leg and trim another (hole on the board is too small) fit on the board. You can see it on the picture of my board posted today.

BK/1A1907-05 Cooper Bussmann Fuseholders, Clips, & Hardware

George

Yes George, that is what I will do if I don't find a drop-in part. However, the fuse rating is dependent on the contact area, so I don't want to grind/cut the pins down too much.

apparently this forum disables the Edit feature after 30 minutes. I wanted to change the .078" typo in my post #445 to .068" and did not catch it quickly.

No drop-in part found by me, so I will be grinding. Bussman and Keystone both make clips which can be bent and cut to fit. The Keystone 3513 is similar to the Bussman 1A4533, these have pin spacing close enough to the pcb hole spacing that they can be bent there, but the pins are fatter. The Bussman 1A5602 has good pin spacing and .047" pins, but its a 5mm fuse holder, limit is 7A maximum.

When I was young (and dinosaurs ruled the earth), I actually paid Microsoft for their Office software. I have never felt the need to purchase from them again. Unfortunately, my ancientware will not open KLewis' spreadsheet, it is in some newer form of Excel which I am forbidden to open. If someone could regenerate this in the old Excel .xls form I would say a toast in your honor.

Scoop,

Don't worry too much about fuse rating. If you look at my picture carefully you will see that this fuse holder is soldered on both pads on the top layer in addition to one pin soldered on bottom layer. There is enough connectivity to put 30A into it.

George

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Wot, no 1mm clip pins?

Scoop. you are right, of course, that the large US suppliers to Mouser all standardise on !,5mm or larger pins. Asian stuff can be either size, so don't stick to Mouser - your local city parts supplier may have other options. Incidentally, Littlefuse for one, do make a low profile clip with 1 mm pins - #100-058 - apparently not stocked by Mouser. :bawling:

Fully assembled board on heat sink.

George

Attachments

• Fetzilla HS_0013 copy.jpg
    Fetzilla HS_0013 copy.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 490
Scoop. you are right, of course, that the large US suppliers to Mouser all standardise on !,5mm or larger pins. Asian stuff can be either size, so don't stick to Mouser - your local city parts supplier may have other options. Incidentally, Littlefuse for one, do make a low profile clip with 1 mm pins - #100-058 - apparently not stocked by Mouser. :bawling:

hi Ian, I did look at that one, but where the board fuseholder pins are going north/south, the Littelfuse 100-058 has pins going east/west. Hope you didn't order any of those.

thanks Ken for the spreadsheet. Now I have to come up with a suitable toast. I think I will make it a limerick. There once was a fellow named Ken...

Great work George!!

Did you buy the brackets for the heatsink from Home Depot? They look very suitable, very strong, and of course, they won't corrode in the snow either.....

Now we await your listening experience, the acid test!

Give them about ten hours to bed down before making any assessment; the caps always take time to get used to their duties.

Ken,

I was in the same boat as Scoop, couldn't read the file, now I can, thank you! Greatly appreciate it.

The conundrum is that in Oz I get my fuse clips from a local supplier who imports from China, and it now appears he's changed his stock. The new clip does not fit my board; only the old version with the finer legs fits the pcb perfectly. This is infuriating for me too, so there needs to be a better choice of fuseclip for all. It occurs to me the integrated clip for 20mm fuse (3AG?) with plastic cover might be best.

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited:
Hugh,

Those brackets you see on the heatsink are part of the case I acquired for this project. I got complete case with heasinks, no messing around with different parts from different sources. Heatsink size is 300mmX120mmX40mm with temperature coefficient 0.40C/W is more than adequate for this amp.

George

Great work George!!

I was in the same boat as Scoop, couldn't read the file, now I can, thank you! Greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh,

Never hesitate to ask, with all the work you put, Greg, Paul and other put into this project, my humble contribution is many orders of magnitude lower. I for one am doing what ever I can to help.

Re: fuse holders, I would just recommend a mouser standard clip and not one of those fancy plastic things. Seems the only miss was the pin size. I'll either file down the ones I have or, heaven forbid hog out the hole and solder it in from the top. (I'm used to making my own double sided boards and see plated through holes as a luxury item - I have drill press and will use it at the slightest provication)

Ken

Casing the FetZilla

Hi George,

Nice case, looks very neat.

Here is my case, custom for the NAKSA 100, shown here with IEC wiring remaining but otherwise complete.

I will use a N100 case for my FetZilla as heatsinks are the same and the pcb is almost identical in size. The 2 x 160VA trafos are, however, rather smaller than the 300VA this case is designed for.

Cheers,

Hugh

Attachments

• N100prodComplete5S.jpg
    N100prodComplete5S.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 447
Hugh,

Those brackets you see on the heatsink are part of the case I acquired for this project. I got complete case with heasinks, no messing around with different parts from different sources. Heatsink size is 300mmX120mmX40mm with temperature coefficient 0.40C/W is more than adequate for this amp.

George

Can you kindly mention the source and price for the case with heatsink?

Can somebody give the source in USA for the Power mosfets, K1058 & J162?

--G Annaji

SandyHooker,

Right click on the file, choose 'Save Target As', first delete the .txt on the end of the file, leaving just 'Swordfishy amp BOM.xls', then you can save it directly to your HDD. After saving it, you can double click on the file, and you should be able to pick up the old Excel program and show the spreadsheet. If the application dialogue box comes up, choose Excel, and every time subsequently you throw a .xls file at the PC it will pick up Excel automatically. Hope this helps... it works fine downunder, should work for you in the US.

Again, Ken, many thanks, it's very helpful for those wanting immediate catalogue access to parts sellers.

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.