• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

GK-1R earthing (again)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apologies for raising the subject again, but I just want to make sure I understand correctly the steps to eliminate hum in the GK-1R before going ahead.

I’m following a couple of topics from Audiocircle; the first is the recent topic Hum, Grounding, Torture and Agony, in which, Steve (Stvnharr) found the following to eliminate hum:
*Replace the 10R resistors with wire links in the grounding tracks and:
*Run a wire to connect the grounds from each channel.

The first is easy enough but would I implement the second by soldering a wire between the (new) links of each channel?

The second topic is the much older GK-1R Earthing scheme revisited by Ron (RonR). In this thread he has cut the C8 to C18 link, left the R2 resistor in place and put a link between the two signal earths on each channel (diagram below). Is this achieving the same as the Hum... thread above or does this info give additional steps to do as well?

Thanks

Tim (marcus1)

Attachments

• Earthing_scheme.gif
    Earthing_scheme.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 125
Tim,

Steve is 100% on the money. That's it - no other changes, just simply replace the grounding 10R resistor at the input of the SS gainblock with a wire link. All the rest is unchanged, and the quietness is a revelation. I'm still angry with myself for missing this one, and hats off to Steve who shared this vital information!!

Steve, long email tonight, doing case photography at present.....

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.