• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Naksa

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stop Wasting peoples time

I subscribed to your thread as i was really intrested in building a baksa .started out to be an intresting and moving forwards project Thread. come on sort it out fella's. all those wasted posts and wasted time.i guess you just let it ride so as to get a bigger score on this thread Come on hugh get ya team together. seems like the gremlins that nearly put end to one of the blame amps is comming to infest you.
And as you may say i dont have to read this thread well you are right.
:headbash:

Hello

The only usefull thd specs are the thd spectrum, seeing that spectrum give a good ideas of the type of distortions of the amp and that's more important than the percentage of thd. But still only the listening are the final test.

Bye

Gaetan

ANd what would you say to what i wrote earlier, which is as follows:

You have mentioned in the past that you design your amps in such a way that the distortion has a specific profile and this is more significant than the total value of distortion. Speakers contain crossovers which alter the relationship between the harmonics with respect to time. How does this affect the profile?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I agree with your assessment, Bigun. Guys who weren't around or particularly interested in Hi-fi in the 1970s to 1990s would not be aware of the big deal distortion was in the Japanese electronics marketing strategies. When you selected your amp power/size/model as high as you could afford, the only technical leveller for other brands was THD and later, IMD, Slew Rate, noise etc. Sound quality outside that was unknown, unsought, and with typical speakers of the day, unassessable so it's funny but now we just go for power and ask whether it sounds "nice".

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, Andrew. I recall ads in UK mags for Pioneer "B" models which were a few pounds dearer and had no tone controls. My English friend told me that they were selling like hotcakes...A simple and effective way to neutralise the UK manufacturers' own spiel!
Dunno how observers and industry types felt about that..peeved maybe?

Prof:
The short answer to your question in post 43 and previous is no. Speaker filters change the relationship of added harmonic components in the same way they do the harmonics already contained in the original signal, since they are now an integral part of it. The input is now divided into driver frequency groups and inherent tiny delays have occurred, yes but when the driver outputs are recombined, the signal and phase relationships are restored as the sound passes through air to your ears. That is precisely what loudspeakers are designed to do.

Note that alternatives like special wide-range drivers and active electronic crossovers seek to improve on or eliminate this function but the same physics issues are still in play. Quality will affect outcomes, as in all real things.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I subscribed to your thread as i was really intrested in building a baksa .started out to be an intresting and moving forwards project Thread. come on sort it out fella's. all those wasted posts and wasted time.i guess you just let it ride so as to get a bigger score on this thread Come on hugh get ya team together. seems like the gremlins that nearly put end to one of the blame amps is comming to infest you.
And as you may say i dont have to read this thread well you are right.
:headbash:

:Popworm:
Those comments might make more sense if they were posted in the BAKSA thread. It's here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/168554-based-hugh-deans-aksa-55-a.html

b.t.w. When choosing who to flame over there, you might like to bear in mind it's not Hugh's project.

Thanks for the laugh anyway - just what I needed to fix a monday morning!
:D

I think it was a typo, NAKSA not baksa.

Hmmm, hope you guys are having a great time!

I've got a bloody headache from working on my old Cressida motor, it seems I missed a storm in a tea cup.......

Hugh

Attachments

• 7MGENov10-1.jpg
    7MGENov10-1.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 372
Nah, Gaetan,

I used shellite to perform a leak down test (you cover the piston crown, watch it closely over 5 minutes to see if the level drops) and to get rid of it all we decided to set fire to it. Spectacular, isn't it? But it doesn't get rid of the deposits, unfortunately.

I'm going to hone the bores, put in new rings and bearings, so the entire engine will be cleaned and repainted anyway.

Love this engine, it's a beautiful piece of design, it really is....

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Prof: Are you disagreeing or just needing to understand the physics?
A short answer is just that; short. I guess a good educator could squeeze the basics into a post but the place to ask such a question is in a science forum, Google search, Wikipedia or read audio theory threads in forums you are most comfortable with.

If you are a serious learner, however, there is no substitute for textbooks. It starts with popular, economical works by Randy Slone on electronics and Vance Dickason on Speakers and numerous other titles aimed at hobby or educational levels. In the UK there a number of authors, like the late J.L Hood who wrote several electronics titles and many on forum will be keen to recommend others.Yep, I even read books like "Electronics for Dummies"! (OK, don't laugh. It was free! :eek:)

Look about. Amazon UK lists many titles in cheap, used copies and new, delivered to your door. E books are, of course, popular with constant readers and excellent for different languages to the publication. Whatever the choice, make it! :cool:

You said the phase relationship is restored. I am asking for your explanation of that. Incidentally i do disagree, but thats irrelevant.

Kenji,

This is a mischievous post. If you have truck with Ian's post, please take this off the forum and into PMs.

I am not impressed by individuals who seek to embarass others here in the Aspen forum, and yes, your disagreement is irrelevant but by saying so you merely draw attention to your wish for a stoush. You have a personal obligation to your curiousity to seek information from texts and various other credible sources, and no one here or elsewhere has any charter to do the hard yards for you.

Hugh

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
You said the phase relationship is restored. I am asking for your explanation of that.
Prof:Thanks for the continued interest but as I hinted, this aint the place. AC theory alone requires visual aids which I don't have. If you have confidence in written details, then PMs are appropriate. I won't deny you entirely, but I have hogged enough of Hugh's NAKSA forum already and unless others also wish it, I leave it for someone more accustomed to explanation.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.