• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Aksa amp -How far can it go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering upgrading the rest of my system and I just wondered how far can the aksa go?

It goes well with my 1,000 pound speakers but would the aksa be outclassed if the speakers were say 5k or 10k pounds?

What about the cd player? How much of a difference can I expect from the portable I'm using now to something like a benchmark dac?

I'm presuming you're a Pom, Prof (given the Union Jack under your name)? Which is a pity ... if you lived in sunny Melbourne, you could come round and hear my AKSA LF modules driving my 3-way active (but 20-year old) Maggies. And in reference to your other thread - with, say, CD source selected (but not playing) and the GK-1 volume control turned round to max, you'd be able to put your ears right up against the drivers and hear ... nothing! :) No hash, no hum. :D

Now, in terms of how far can an AKSA go ... yes, the LF modules deliver (to my ears) much better sound than the AKSA modules I had previously. They have more clarity/definition - and a better low end. So I will not be parting with them - until Hugh comes out with a replacement! :cloud9: (Irrespective of whether I replace my Maggies or my vinyl front end - a pimped LP12. :D )

So IMO your AKSA 55 is not as good as Hugh's LF ... but it's way better than a Naim 250, which is what I compared it to about 8 years ago, when I auditioned Hugh's amp. Out went my 3 Naim amps and in came an AKSA 100, 55 & 25 (a 55 with a lowered DC rail voltage) ... and then the 'N' and 'N+' variants came along - each delivering better sound than the prior version.

Regards,

Andy

The AKSA and LF are both great amps and I've had both. They have different presentations so it comes down to tastes. By what I have read, most prefer the LF and are very happy campers.

The AKSA can deliver bass better than the LF but depends on the build and the power supply. My AKSA (V2.1) did have better bass performance than my LF (V3.1) and that was no slouch (Hugh has heard it and gave it a thumbs up). However, the AKSA, even with mods cannot compete with the LF for detail retrieval. Hugh has rightly moved on from the AKSA to produce better power amps for his customers.

I just recently bought a Lifeforce 100 Mark II, never heard it before.

I does not color the sound. It adds nothing. You will hear much more refined details, really beautiful roundings in the mids, better then in any other conventional amp design. It's a more like natural sound, like a live experience.
Aspen amps are really stunning. You won't regret it.

I agree with both andy and rabbitz and to complete the comment chain, I've had the LF and now the Soraya that is the direct descendent of the LF and there is absolutely no base missing from the current model. Extremely refined.

LPM
Hugh sent me some interior photos of Soraya, and a little additional information about the development process.
It is indeed a most impressive looking amplifier, and clearly shows the attention to detail that Hugh gives his amplifiers,both internally, and externally.
SandyK

There's very little about Hugh, his company and most of his customers that is in any way sane.

The fact they've gone the extra mile in an industry that is not recognised for clear and lucid thinking in the wider world......is a testament to just how little sanity the AKSA group have managed to retain.

But other AKSA persons are all fortunate.......as I know that I am the very Pillar Of Sanity within this particular wilderness upon which you may all lean just a little when a lucid moment is required.

Kenji,

You would need six 12V SLA 6AH batteries; quite an investment. I have never tried it, as I always viewed this as impractical, too much invested in the batteries and the charger. You would still need large storage caps for earth return from the speaker voice coils, so all of the cost advantage is clearly lost.

But I've no reason to believe it would sound bad, and it may even sound better since PSRR becomes an irrelevance, whatever that means, of course!

Hugh

Hello Kenji

You should have said that you ask this batteries question because you ask me why the sound of your Aksa amp keeps changing, you say that one day it sounds very nice, next day or 2 days afterwards it not sound very good. And I've told you that maby it can be a noisy main problem.

Maby it's an electric motor or others noisy electrical apliances who run few day a weeks near your home.

You could try the felix main filter, here is the link:

Felix project

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
hi Professor Hugh Dean,

can you tell me how effective mains filtering would be here? Or is it the shape of the mains supply which matters?

Professor Gaetan,

I've looked at the link. Could you tell me what the CMC is and does? What would be the best way to make this? Obviously because it's mains voltage I want to be very cautious about the construction.

Professor Gaetan,

I've looked at the link. Could you tell me what the CMC is and does? What would be the best way to make this? Obviously because it's mains voltage I want to be very cautious about the construction.

Hello

CMC = common mode choke. It's an inductor or a choke with two windings in opposite directions to cancel electro-magnetic noise. You can find those in electronics parts stores.

The felix filter are a CLC filter. The capacitors are shorting the high frequency noises and the coil are have high impedance to the high frequency noises.

You should read that felix thread.

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Prof. Hugh Dean,

I have always been curious why you use the cd player that you do? It's an old model and newer dacs have come out which are reported to offer a much higher performance at low cost. Did you 'tune' the aksa to suit the sound of old cd players? I am finding that I keep coming back to these cd players and do not like the sound when using newer DACs.

Lack of funds, I guess......

I find the CD player has much less effect on the sound than the amp and speakers.....

Perhaps we need to think about 'higher performance'? Are you talking measured, or perceived? If the latter, it's a matter of taste, I suspect. Most middle priced CD players are pretty good, anthing from the mid-nineties on, that is.

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.