• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Aspen Headphone Amp

I just wanted to say thanks to all those who took the trouble to reply to my question about simulators. Some of the posts were especially detailed and informative and I feel I have a better understanding now and appreciate the time people put into composing them. As with most things it seems you get what you pay for. With any physical system your simulations are only as good as the underlying assumptions in the model and the quality of your input data. I'm sorry that my question provoked some strife within the forum, this was not intended.

Best wishes

Phil

Hello

Here is the links to all the Haksa circuits.

Some changes could happen on some of those schematics.

Bye

Gaetan

The amp; diyAudio

The same amp with a CCS; diyAudio

The first tone controls showing volume and balance controls; diyAudio

The same tone controls with minor corrections, without the volume and balance controls; diyAudio

The crossfeed, maby not final schematic;diyAudio

The power supply (not final schematic, may change); diyAudio

Last edited:
Hello

Here is the links to all the Haksa circuits.

Some changes could happen on some of those schematics.

Bye

Gaetan

The amp; diyAudio

The same amp with a CCS; diyAudio

The first tone controls showing volume and balance controls; diyAudio

The same tone controls with minor corrections, without the volume and balance controls; diyAudio

The crossfeed, maby not final schematic;diyAudio

The power supply (not final schematic, may change); diyAudio

thanks a lot! this is a great summary!
if allowed I'd suggest to put this also inside the first post of this thread.. at least a link to it so it will be easy to reach.

Kr,
tent:wq

Many thanks, HM,

I have followed JLH for more years than I am prepared to admit. I remember first hearing his 1969 10W Class A in 1971, a good friend, now an accomplished engineer, built it into a small shoebox, and I vividly recall Paul Desmond playing 'Summertime' through it. It was largely responsible for drawing me into high end, to be frank, and I enjoy his writing style.

I will read this article immediately, thank you!

Hugh

Okay, I've trying to figure out how much power a 1mW/100db transducer would need.

Even 1mW produces hearing damage, but what we want is somewhere around 60db, about as loud as normal speech. That would be less than 1mW.

1V into 60 ohms gives 16mW, more than we will ever need, unless I'm wrong. Do we really need to be able to push 150mA on demand?

And is the relationship between mW and db linear? As in, to get 60db do we simply put in .6mW?

- keantoken

Kean,

The 122mA chosen is largely the result of wanting to throw power into high and low z cans, from 24R all the way up to 2K.

If you do the sums on 2K phones, you have 1Vrms (2.828Vpp, or 1.414Vp) producing just 0.5mW of power, which would be 97dBA if they are 100dB/watt.

OTOH, for 24R headphones, 1Vrms would give us 20.8mW of power with a 10R series resistor as per convention. This would be 109dBA (unless my math is wrong).

As you can see, we have wild, carefree overkill here...... a nicely over-engineered component which should keep deaf trolls into heavy metal for centuries....

And you call yourself American, let alone a TEXAN, where EVERYTHING IS BIG???

Hunker down, buddy, y'all......

Hugh