Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 20th October 2009, 10:56 PM   #641
keantoken is offline keantoken  United States
diyAudio Member

It seems to be the words, message and theme of a song that makes it hit. I wonder if it is possible for an amp to have a "message"? Although that implies that the sound is colored in a specific way.

- keantoken
Old 21st October 2009, 12:38 AM   #642
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Aspen Headphone Amp
Perhaps the name of an amp can be a factor.

Hugh has an amp called 'Glass Harmony'. That sounds better than 'HAKSA' perhaps ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 21st October 2009, 01:02 AM   #643
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Aha! Ze name, you no like Monsieur? You vish to change it? Suggestions?

I don't mind, it's not mine anyway, lots of other people in this design!

You could change it it PAKSA, for Phone AKSA, and this interestingly is the Indonesian word for FORCE. It is also a Tagalog word, but I can't find the meaning.....

Or even something of Greek origin, like Psi, to hint at something telepathic in its performance?

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 21st October 2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 21st October 2009, 01:33 AM   #644
diyAudio Member

Yes, Bigun, the name of an amp is a marketing factor that usually does not reflect the sound or quality of an amp.

I like how HAKSA is sort of like HACKSAW...

- keanrtoken
Old 21st October 2009, 10:38 PM   #645
diyAudio Member

Hey, I just had a revelation. Since this amp is a great big collaboration, why not center the name around this idea? Just calling HAKSA or whatever could give the mistaken impression that Hugh himself solely designed it.

Also, I find Gaetan's post #632 to be an interesting suggestion, though I don't know that it's necessary. The reason for me suggesting to lower the feedback network impedance was for the NFB's sake, and I don't see it as necessary for the input. The input side is passive and so shouldn't have a significant affect on odd order harmonics or higher order harmonics, the only harmonics generated will probably be a very small H2 from the LTP base current. So:

It is probably advisable, if we modify the feedback network impedance, to modify the input impedance the same way to reduce offset, but only if we are driving the input with an opamp.

- keantoken
Old 21st October 2009, 10:56 PM   #646
gaetan8888 is offline gaetan8888  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
Hey, I just had a revelation. Since this amp is a great big collaboration, why not center the name around this idea? Just calling HAKSA or whatever could give the mistaken impression that Hugh himself solely designed it.

Also, I find Gaetan's post #632 to be an interesting suggestion, though I don't know that it's necessary. The reason for me suggesting to lower the feedback network impedance was for the NFB's sake, and I don't see it as necessary for the input. The input side is passive and so shouldn't have a significant affect on odd order harmonics or higher order harmonics, the only harmonics generated will probably be a very small H2 from the LTP base current. So:

It is probably advisable, if we modify the feedback network impedance, to modify the input impedance the same way to reduce offset, but only if we are driving the input with an opamp.

- keantoken
Hello keantoken

Yes, this amp is a great big collaboration, but the HAKSA still base on the Aksa amp, so the name HAKSA seem perfect for me, but we can do a poll if enough guys ask for another name.

And for my post #632, Doug Self, in his book (Audio Power Amplifiers-D.Self vol.3 P.86 ) made that circuit mod to lower the input noise but even with the LTP bootstap it still under 15k ohm input impedance. And the "Aksa sound" come in parts from the high impedance feedback network, so Self's circuit type ideas could change the sound signature of the HAKSA. So maby my suggestion was not a so good ideas and we could keep the Haksa feedback network as it is.

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited by gaetan8888; 21st October 2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 22nd October 2009, 01:14 AM   #647
diyAudio Member

I don't mind HAKSA either, just wanted to inject that thought into discussion.

- keantoken
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:21 AM   #648
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

A few minor mods to the HAKSA to incorporate Crossfeed, reduced Zin and more data.

This completes the amplifier, the crossfeed, and the virtual earth. A non-inverting, opamp buffered very low phase shift tone control to follow.

Cheers,

Hugh
Attached Images
File Type: gif HeadphoneAmp1.GIF (42.7 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by AKSA; 23rd October 2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 23rd October 2009, 05:00 PM   #649
Nico Ras is offline Nico Ras  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Performance looks good Hugh.
Old 23rd October 2009, 07:15 PM   #650
Ultima Thule is offline Ultima Thule  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh,

didn't know you got your own channel here, haven't been around here for a very long time but congrats to your own corner!

Nice little headphone amp there and nice choice of transistors too!
I was going to ask you why you choose the 2N5401 shown in the simulation schematics in the beginning of the thread but now I see you opted for the BC557, what's your reason for the change?

Cheers Michael

Aspen Headphone AmpHide this!Advertise here!