Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 22nd September 2009, 03:27 AM   #21
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
Here's the Bode plot from LTSpice:

Looks like unity gain is at 11.6MHz, 3dB point is at 1.6MHz.

I noticed GK's plot showed a gain of near on 34dB, which is very different to the CLG of 15dB.

?

I plotted the loop gain and phase. A closed loop bode plot tells very little about a simulated amplifiers stability margins and you consistently apply the wrong technical terms to the wrong things.
Old 22nd September 2009, 03:28 AM   #22
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Aspen Headphone Amp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL21193 View Post
Maybe a variation on the Jung super reg. Make things a bit more challenging for us older hands.
That would be an interesting learning process. But how would you simplify it - the Jung super reg. looks too complicated for the purposes of this simple (but great sounding) headphone amp ?

[There is that simple feed-fwd shunt regulator that the tube guys are playing with, works providing that the current levels are low]
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 22nd September 2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 22nd September 2009, 03:37 AM   #23
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Aspen Headphone Amp
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K. View Post
I plotted the loop gain and phase. A closed loop bode plot tells very little about a simulated amplifiers stability margins
Good tip, I rarely look at the amplifier performance open loop, which misses a lot. But still, I like to know how it looks with the loop closed - any signs of instability there would be bad...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 22nd September 2009, 03:53 AM   #24
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

Bigun,

For more info on the loop gain concept, see the posts starting here in the frugalamp thread. In this post, I talked a little bit about the theory of why one should look at the loop gain (rather than the closed-loop gain as Hugh did above) to determine stability. Note that I originally made an error, and told OS to simultate V(b)/V(a), when it should have been -V(b)/V(a).
Old 22nd September 2009, 04:12 AM   #25
Ipanema is offline Ipanema  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi GK,

Can you post your simulation netlist? I would like to know how you simulate the loop gain.

Thanks.
Old 22nd September 2009, 04:29 AM   #26
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Aspen Headphone Amp
For those who use ltspice, load the following file which is part of the ltspice distribution:
C:\Program Files/LTC\LTspiceIV\examples\Educational\LoopGain2.asc

And run the simulation.

Explanations about where that comes from can be found here
http://sites.google.com/site/frankwiedmann/loopgain

HTH
Old 22nd September 2009, 04:37 AM   #27
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Aspen Headphone Amp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
That would be an interesting learning process. But how would you simplify it - the Jung super reg. looks too complicated for the purposes of this simple (but great sounding) headphone amp ?

[There is that simple feed-fwd shunt regulator that the tube guys are playing with, works providing that the current levels are low]
Here's simple and great performance.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1928071

Hot too, it's a shunt design. Don't look back.
Old 22nd September 2009, 05:00 AM   #28
MJL21193 is offline MJL21193  Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
It isn't as complex as it seems and my sims say it hard to beat for this application.
I wouldn't make any real changes, just use an ordinary opamp to reduce cost.
Attached Images
File Type: png 117.PNG (23.0 KB, 846 views)

Last edited by MJL21193; 22nd September 2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 22nd September 2009, 05:25 AM   #29
ostripper is offline ostripper  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
by andy c. - and told OS to simultate V(b)/V(a), when it should have been -V(b)/V(a).
And it works soooo goood. No oscillators YET !!

I prepared the .asc (in the aksaHFamp.zip folder) and it works nice , 775khz unity gain with 94db margin (attachment 1), this would be very stable.

Hello , Hugh ... looks good , I "dug up" the japanese models , but used the mje15032/33's for OP's. With the "super " reg ,or even some heatsinked 317/337 devices , this should sound golden. I balanced out the input diff. by tinkerin' with the tail current and chose a 10 pf lag comp to assure margin on the attached .ASC. Nice work !
OS
Attached Images
File Type: gif aksaHFOLG.gif (27.7 KB, 640 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip aksaHFamp.zip (2.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 22nd September 2009, 05:25 AM   #30
GK is offline GK  Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipanema View Post
Hi GK,

Can you post your simulation netlist? I would like to know how you simulate the loop gain.

Thanks.

Hi

I just used the simple method shown in the LTspice example file; LTspiceIV/examples/Educational/LoopGain.asc.

This just involves putting an AC voltage source (set to '1') in series with the output and then plotting one terminal over the other.

Follow Andy's links above to a more complete explanation.

Aspen Headphone AmpHide this!Advertise here!