Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 28th December 2017, 11:00 PM   #1141
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Aspen Headphone Amp
Yes, Hugh gave me the BF862/2SA1837 headphone amp design and it remains one of my best. It was in fact, the amp that beat all the other amps in a blind virtual audition.

Blind Virtual Audition of Several Headamps

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by xrk971; 28th December 2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 28th December 2017, 11:06 PM   #1142
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
Can be even more simple : Designing with FETs
"Super-Simple, Super-Fine FET Circuit"

And if you then mirror it about Gnd with PJFET and NPN, you get the F5-like topology of Nelson, or Le Monstre of Hiraga.

Cheers,
Patrick
Good read.
Thanks.
Old 29th December 2017, 07:12 AM   #1143
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

John Broskie's website is always a source of inspiration.
The Tubecad Super-Simple, Super-Fine FET Circuit in HPA Configuartion
Apologies for hijacking Hugh's thread one last time.

Happy New Year,
Patrick
Old 5th January 2018, 06:15 PM   #1144
Buzzy is offline Buzzy  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I tried changing some stuff in the schematic posted by Nico Ras. This is what I finally built on a breadboard.

Aspen Headphone Amp

When I plugged in my headphones and played music through this amp, my jaw just dropped in amazement. It sounds totally different from my CMOY amp. With hip hop, the bass hits so hard and is tight. On some songs I did not even know there was that much low bass. I just love the slam and impact of the bass with this amp. On some songs I thought that the music was recorded with bass distortion. After using this amp, the bass distortion is gone. There is also a sense of space in some of the music I tested. The treble also feels sweeter and not fatiguing anymore. I am gonna continue listening to more music. Thank you for sharing this amp schematic.
Old 5th January 2018, 06:17 PM   #1145
Buzzy is offline Buzzy  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Yes, Hugh gave me the BF862/2SA1837 headphone amp design and it remains one of my best. It was in fact, the amp that beat all the other amps in a blind virtual audition.

Blind Virtual Audition of Several Headamps

Click the image to open in full size.
Yes I am waiting for BF862 to arrive in the mail to build that amp you have posted in the other thread.
Old 5th January 2018, 11:07 PM   #1146
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Buzzy,

I'm glad you built the CFP HPA and then listened it!
It really is an astonishingly good HPA and one of the simplest I have ever seen.
When you realise how good it is you wonder why so many complex amps are in the market, particularly knowing they are studded with ICs and massive global feedback.

My approach is always to find what works, simplify, simplify and simplify. Less components are cheaper, more reliable, and easier to assemble.

HD
Old 13th January 2018, 02:16 AM   #1147
ZeAudius is offline ZeAudius  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Well, I found this thread today.

It was started by Hugh's on 2009, has 1145 replies and 110.042 views. Uau ... that's a lot of interest ! But, correct me if I'm wrong, it stopped on May 2011. The member KnightofAwesome was making a great job designing the pcb, but than ... nothing.

And again, Hugh is around and remembering that it is simple but astonishingly good. Also xrk971 made a prototype and is reporting as one of his best headphone amp.

Somebody has the latest pcb design files and BOM made by KnightofAwesome ? Can that be a re-starting point ?

So, by luck, somebody searched this old thread, and it may came to life again if the interest is around.
Old 13th January 2018, 03:41 AM   #1148
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

It is amusing, all this history with a dead end; yet the interest persists. Perhaps this is the reason XRK and I decided to collaborate some months back to build a very high quality headphone amp which could drive a rusty nail from DC to light - already we have a schematic, DAC, balanced and unbalanced input, high quality power supplies.

But this will be a commercial product, though it will be arguably the best headphone amp most people will ever hear........

Cheers,

Hugh

Aspen Headphone AmpHide this!Advertise here!