Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Acoustic Fun DACs, Amps, Cables, Parts and everything else at Acoustic Fun!

Old 23rd May 2021, 11:00 PM   #1
Best Hi End is offline Best Hi End
diyAudio Member

Default Pure silver foil for Hi End cables

Hey Guys,
I need your advice&instructions.A friend of mine can get me 5N silver foil which I think best suits for interconnects and power cables .It can be either 1.5m"m*0.05m"m or 2.5m"m*0.3m"m which size is better suited for IC or power cables or by any chance for speaker cables ? Could anyone instruct me how to coat&shield these 5N silver foil to perfection if I want to build few pairs of 1.25-1.5m for XLR digital and analog interconnects&power cables as well as speaker cables if possible with either of the above sizes ?
The 5N silver foil is quite expensive,but I've read that once it's built properly-you forget the issue of cables once for all !
I'd be grateful to get any pertinent assistance.
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:21 PM   #2
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Pure silver foil for Hi End cables
I would rather stick to commercially available wire. If it needs to be silver, definitely OCC.

The 5Ns are meaningless with respect to sound if the metal has not been properly annealed.

Silver + foil usually spells intolerable brightness to me, but of course your taste may differ.

To be honest i dislike pure silver in most shapes and forms. Even the best OCC has the tonal balance off to my ears even though it gives the impression of great detail and more air.

YMMV
Old 24th May 2021, 06:24 AM   #3
Best Hi End is offline Best Hi End
diyAudio Member

Default Pure Silver Foil for Hi End cables

Thanks Mate,my mistake-the 5N silver Foil is soft annealed-I simply forgot to mention it in my question
Old 25th August 2021, 08:51 PM   #4
haiqu is offline haiqu  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've still got a roll of it that I bought years ago. I'll get around to making something with it eventually. I do like silver interconnects, they sound very clean indeed.
Old 25th August 2021, 09:21 PM   #5
Brzzl is offline Brzzl  Europe
diyAudio Member

The idea of silver-foil IC's reminds me of Allen Wright's cables...they should be mentioned in his "The SuperCables CookBook" and you can probably find some more information about them on this forum or elsewhere on the web.
Old 27th August 2021, 07:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, in fact that's where I bought the roll of silver foil. I was also the person who suggested using teflon as the separator, he asked me what I thought he should use when I visited him in Munich in 2000. He was a bit puzzled about how to attach the foil to the teflon until he remembered a double-sided tape he used in photography many years earlier.

Here's a photo of a prototype pair that I haven't used for about 15 years. They're in need of a little work ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foil Interconnects.jpg (130.3 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by haiqu; 27th August 2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old 27th August 2021, 08:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

As for the cookbooks, well ... he posted me a copy of this pre-release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cookbook.jpg (98.1 KB, 123 views)
Old 27th August 2021, 10:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

What a great story -thanks for sharing!
I would have loved to meet Allen Wright in person (RIP)...I still have his modded Sony 777ES SACD-Player that was once his reference in my system to this day and it still gets regular use. I have thought about replacing the Redel connectors for the balanced outputs many times, but than I always remember how highly he spoke of them and just mounted a pair of them in my preamp some time ago
Old 27th August 2021, 03:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I knew Allen for 36 years, and worked with him in at least three (four maybe) different companies. In fact I ran one of his businesses when he went to the US in the late '70s. He also lived at my place in Bondi for several months. He was a very enthusiastic and curious guy, always trying something new. I count him as one of the closest friends I ever had.

That SACD player is one model that I tried to buy, but supply had dried up by the time I heard about them. Treasure it! Thankfully I did manage to jump on a few really good Oppo units right after the company closed, so I'm set for signal sources now.
Old 28th August 2021, 10:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Wow...thanks for sharing again.

That's true -it was hard to get my hands on his 777, but somehow I did and yes I treasure it and even have several replacement parts just in case.
  Reply to this post

Pure silver foil for Hi End cablesHide this!Advertise here!