Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Acoustic Fun DACs, Amps, Cables, Parts and everything else at Acoustic Fun!

Old 23rd May 2021, 10:00 PM   #1
Best Hi End is offline Best Hi End
diyAudio Member

Default Pure silver foil for Hi End cables

Hey Guys,
I need your advice&instructions.A friend of mine can get me 5N silver foil which I think best suits for interconnects and power cables .It can be either 1.5m"m*0.05m"m or 2.5m"m*0.3m"m which size is better suited for IC or power cables or by any chance for speaker cables ? Could anyone instruct me how to coat&shield these 5N silver foil to perfection if I want to build few pairs of 1.25-1.5m for XLR digital and analog interconnects&power cables as well as speaker cables if possible with either of the above sizes ?
The 5N silver foil is quite expensive,but I've read that once it's built properly-you forget the issue of cables once for all !
I'd be grateful to get any pertinent assistance.
Old 23rd May 2021, 10:21 PM   #2
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Pure silver foil for Hi End cables
I would rather stick to commercially available wire. If it needs to be silver, definitely OCC.

The 5Ns are meaningless with respect to sound if the metal has not been properly annealed.

Silver + foil usually spells intolerable brightness to me, but of course your taste may differ.

To be honest i dislike pure silver in most shapes and forms. Even the best OCC has the tonal balance off to my ears even though it gives the impression of great detail and more air.

YMMV
Old 24th May 2021, 05:24 AM   #3
Best Hi End is offline Best Hi End
diyAudio Member

Default Pure Silver Foil for Hi End cables

Thanks Mate,my mistake-the 5N silver Foil is soft annealed-I simply forgot to mention it in my question
  Reply to this post

Pure silver foil for Hi End cablesHide this!Advertise here!