• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pure silver foil for Hi End cables

Hey Guys,
I need your advice&instructions.A friend of mine can get me 5N silver foil which I think best suits for interconnects and power cables .It can be either 1.5m"m*0.05m"m or 2.5m"m*0.3m"m which size is better suited for IC or power cables or by any chance for speaker cables ? Could anyone instruct me how to coat&shield these 5N silver foil to perfection if I want to build few pairs of 1.25-1.5m for XLR digital and analog interconnects&power cables as well as speaker cables if possible with either of the above sizes ?
The 5N silver foil is quite expensive,but I've read that once it's built properly-you forget the issue of cables once for all !
I'd be grateful to get any pertinent assistance.

I would rather stick to commercially available wire. If it needs to be silver, definitely OCC.

The 5Ns are meaningless with respect to sound if the metal has not been properly annealed.

Silver + foil usually spells intolerable brightness to me, but of course your taste may differ.

To be honest i dislike pure silver in most shapes and forms. Even the best OCC has the tonal balance off to my ears even though it gives the impression of great detail and more air.

YMMV :)

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, in fact that's where I bought the roll of silver foil. I was also the person who suggested using teflon as the separator, he asked me what I thought he should use when I visited him in Munich in 2000. He was a bit puzzled about how to attach the foil to the teflon until he remembered a double-sided tape he used in photography many years earlier.

Here's a photo of a prototype pair that I haven't used for about 15 years. They're in need of a little work ...

Attachments

• Foil Interconnects.jpg
    Foil Interconnects.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
What a great story -thanks for sharing!
I would have loved to meet Allen Wright in person (RIP)...I still have his modded Sony 777ES SACD-Player that was once his reference in my system to this day and it still gets regular use. I have thought about replacing the Redel connectors for the balanced outputs many times, but than I always remember how highly he spoke of them and just mounted a pair of them in my preamp some time ago :)

I knew Allen for 36 years, and worked with him in at least three (four maybe) different companies. In fact I ran one of his businesses when he went to the US in the late '70s. He also lived at my place in Bondi for several months. He was a very enthusiastic and curious guy, always trying something new. I count him as one of the closest friends I ever had.

That SACD player is one model that I tried to buy, but supply had dried up by the time I heard about them. Treasure it! Thankfully I did manage to jump on a few really good Oppo units right after the company closed, so I'm set for signal sources now.

Hey Haiqu, greetings from Tucson, Az! (I was actually born in Sydney many moons ago). Myself and another member were trying to get a copy of the books, to no avail. Apparently vaccuumstate is no longer doing commercial business and are not responding to emails. Any chance we could pay you to photocopy them and ship? Or even better, scan and email? Cheers, Christopher.

He was a bit puzzled about how to attach the foil to the teflon until he remembered a double-sided tape he used in photography many years earlier.
If there is glue (double sided tape) in between foil and teflon, it no longer is teflon dielectric, but the glue itself.

I prefer foil in everything, i utilize them in power supply cables as well, so go foil 🙌😁

I wrote up "pasta wire' many years ago. I created a flat silver foil passing silver wire through a pasta machine. I then passed it through teflon tubing. The edges rested on the walls and were the only contact with the teflon. The rest was an air dielectric. I soldered the foil to solid wire that could be passed through the tubing.

Reactions: 1 user