Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Acoustic Fun DACs, Amps, Cables, Parts and everything else at Acoustic Fun!

View Poll Results: Is 1M (3.3Feet) of Coax or Toslink digital cable the right length?
No! Too long! 0.5M (1.6ft) is good enough! 1 7.14%
Yes, perfection! 6 42.86%
No! Too short! 1.5M (4.9ft) is much better! 3 21.43%
No! Too short! 2.0M (6.6ft) is much better! 0 0%
No! Too short! 3.0M (9.9ft) is much better! 0 0%
No! And you don't have the proper length in the poll! (please state length below) 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st December 2020, 11:30 AM   #11
kevinahcc20 is offline kevinahcc20  United States
diyAudio Member

I usually measure the distance between the components to be connected, add a bit of length to allow for routing and have some slack on the connections, and then round up to the closest length interconnect commercially available.
Old 1st December 2020, 05:11 PM   #12
ferret is offline ferret  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret View Post
The plastic material has an extremely high attenuation rate compared to plastic.
My bad, did not check and then got distracted. Should read "compared to silica/glass."
Old 1st December 2020, 05:37 PM   #13
atarashi is offline atarashi  Austria
diyAudio Member

As long as needed and as short as possible.
Wirth copper cables I start worring above 15m, optical can bei longer, depending on the cable.

BR
Michael
Old 1st December 2020, 06:02 PM   #14
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Each cable has an official spec which you can look up.
TOSLINK I think standard maximum is 5 meters, but that is because of cheap plastic fiber.
Glass can run a long way. Miles with the right GBIC. Don't know if anyone is making SPDIF in glass for long haul. I would bet 50M to be easy.
Don't know the coax length. Just 75 Ohm so I see little reason for it not to be good for 50 meters or so unless the driver is crap.

As you would expect, the longer the cable, the more important for a quality cable. Not some magic "audio crap", just quality. Belden has never let me down for cable.

If your cable is "too short" then it is a design defect with either the electronics. Not saying it can't happen, but it shouldn't. This is why we have standards.
Old 9th March 2021, 04:30 PM   #15
Lampie519 is online now Lampie519  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I did a test with both and found that Toslink does not have the bandwidth needed over longer distances (88Khz instead of 44kHz over SPdif 10m). This could be a problem of the plastic fiber or/and the optical transmitter/receiver. So it depends on the quality of the used components as pro stuff can run 2km over fiber (Single mode) with very high frequency.
  Reply to this post

Optical and Coax cable length?Hide this!Advertise here!