ZV9 PCB'S available???

sandstorm33

Member
2006-09-19 4:47 pm
winslow said:
Peter Daniel had some (or I think he did)...but the real question is if you wanted to build one, where would you find the power jfets?


Oddly,I didnt miss the boat on the jfets.. I have twenty of the little wonders. The real question is how do I go about this Whole matter of ZEN. I have admired Nelson Pass' work for many years and still have never heard one of his designs produce music.

I'm over the hill with DIY enthusiasm but am determined to do this last gasp construction. Two things to do;Babozen ZV5 and the ZV9. After that .. I'll sit back and listen to the music.

The ZV5 is under weigh ..... then comes ZV9 .

If you are looking for the jfets .. I would share some with you.

If this doesnt make sense ... keep in mind that some of Joe Phelps Chateau St John kept the party going tonite.
:drunk:

Hopefully someone will take pity on an old fart and find ZV9 PCB'S
 
The ZV9 is not really pcb layout critical, so the real easy, simple and cheap solution, is to get a vero board or do it point to point.

Solution number two if the vero board scares you, would be to build it on a ZV1 board, which is readily available, and just cascode a JFET in on that. The CCS differs from the Aleph CCS originally used in the ZV9, but to my ears and many others, the CCS of the ZV1 sounds better.


Magura :)
 

sandstorm33

Member
2006-09-19 4:47 pm
Magura said:
The ZV9 is not really pcb layout critical, so the real easy, simple and cheap solution, is to get a vero board or do it point to point.

Solution number two if the vero board scares you, would be to build it on a ZV1 board, which is readily available, and just cascode a JFET in on that. The CCS differs from the Aleph CCS originally used in the ZV9, but to my ears and many others, the CCS of the ZV1 sounds better.


Magura :)

P2P is not out of the question here . Have done that many times with great results. Still, a PCB is a very convenient time saving option.

I've read your brief comments before regarding the CCS and the Aleph CCS . According to the ZV9 article the reduction in distortion with the Aleph CCS is dramatic. Perhaps you could be more specific on the subjective side . When the time comes to test , I'll try both and see for myself.

In the meantime I'm engaged to the BaboZen ZV5 and in between Bridge Games and Dr.'s visits I'll finish and finally hear a ZEN play music.

Thanks for joining in.
:)
 
sandstorm33 said:



I've read your brief comments before regarding the CCS and the Aleph CCS . According to the ZV9 article the reduction in distortion with the Aleph CCS is dramatic. Perhaps you could be more specific on the subjective side . When the time comes to test , I'll try both and see for myself.

:)


I find it hard to explain exactly what makes up for the subjective preference of the plain CCS over the active CCS, but if you want a guess, I'd say that the sound becomes more pleasant when a plain CCS is used. The highs may be softer. As you by now have figured, I'm no master when it comes to describing a subjective :xeye:
The only hard facts I have to back up my subjective crappola, is that I have conducted a blind test with a few people, and the majority seems to prefer the CCS from ZV1 over the active CCS.


Magura :)
 

sandstorm33

Member
2006-09-19 4:47 pm
steenoe said:
Another option.
Peter Daniel and Veteran posted a single sided board layout in a ZV9 thread somewhere. You can fairly easy etch a pair of boards for yourself, as I did. You can leave out the Aleph CCS connection, if you wanted to.

:)

Persistence found me a set of Veteran's boards ..They are on there way .

When I bought the LU1040's ,I did so based on factors which included your comments on the ZV9 . Did you also leave out the Aleph CCS ?? With only three components involved , trial in both directions is a simple matter .When I get there that's what I'll do.

Meantime... Babozen here I come!!

By the way, this amplifier will only see above 200hz . with 93db speakers.
 

steenoe

Member
2004-03-23 10:43 am
sandstorm33 said:


Persistence found me a set of Veteran's boards ..They are on there way .

When I bought the LU1040's ,I did so based on factors which included your comments on the ZV9 . Did you also leave out the Aleph CCS ?? With only three components involved , trial in both directions is a simple matter .When I get there that's what I'll do.

Meantime... Babozen here I come!!

By the way, this amplifier will only see above 200hz . with 93db speakers.

Congrats on the boards:)
The ZenV9 is the best sounding Zenamp, that I have heard so far.
I did use the Aleph CCS, but my speakers are a bit current hungry. The best way to find out is to try both options, and see what you like the most. Now that I have a pair of effecient speakers beside the hungry ones, I am gonna play some more with the ZenV9.
Without the Aleph CCS and without feedback as a current source amp. Lots of great things to play around with, thanks to Mr. Pass:cool:

:)