Yet another NewBie Thread...please be patient

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all...

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've always been interested in audio. Since I'm at the point where I can spend some $$$ on new speakers, I've encountered this site and began day dreaming about building my own speakers (kit form).

Before this site I was extensively looking at Onix Rockets, ACI (Essences or Proteges) and other non-ID companies (which I still am)

I've been reading a lot lately till all hours of the night :yawn: . And the only conclusion I've come up with is that I need more education.

Question:

What book or e-book can I read that is not too technical that discusses everything from cabinate to XO designing.

I really want to study and then impliment. However I would ultimately want a speaker with a wide soundstage. A speaker that I could close my eyes and hear the separations in the instruments and their depths. This will be used mostly for music ( 70% music/ 30% HT)

Could anyone point me where I could find a kit that could achieve this.

eros28 said:
Hi all...

Question:

What book or e-book can I read that is not too technical that discusses everything from cabinate to XO designing.

I really want to study and then impliment. However I would ultimately want a speaker with a wide soundstage. A speaker that I could close my eyes and hear the separations in the instruments and their depths. This will be used mostly for music ( 70% music/ 30% HT)

Could anyone point me where I could find a kit that could achieve this.

I got a lot of good info from Mrtin Colloms High Performance Loudspeakers. It covers all aspects of speaker design majoring on closed box systems and doesn't go too crazy on mathematical theory.

The only way you can find out if you have the speaker you want is to build it and listen. If it's not what you want modify or try plan B. This comment is really not as trite as it seems, you will notice many posts ended YMMV as there really is no way anyone can tell you what to build to suit your ears in your room with your listening tastes.
FWIW I have migrated from closed box to planar now to OB speakers and my opinion is OB speakers give me the detail and clarity that I desire, but are definitely bass light, so I'm now going to try to match up a sub to them.

If you want to start with a kit there are loads to choose from, I've not heard these but to me they look interesting

http://www.diy-systems.com look at Singular in DIY speakers
http://www.bastanis.com/diy/hornet+&+dragonfly_en.htm or their Prometheus

good luck with your search and welcome to the world of DIY :D

Kev

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.