Yamaha GA-15 ground noise even with 0 volume

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys hope you can help me with this strange problem.
This little guitar amplifier started making this loud stable ground noise from nowhere.
The noise is always there from when i switch on the amp, does not change if I use the overdrive or the clean channel or if I mess with volume or freq knobs and with guitar plugged or unplugged.
The sound comes out pretty decent actually if i play something and if i turn up the volume enough, the music cover the noise but it's always there.
It's not a litlle rustling noise, it's a fairly loud BZZZZZZZ

The electrical system is grounded and I even tried changing house but the noise persist. I tought maybe a bad insulation or ground problem and i opened up the amp to take a look inside but eveything seems fine. The ground connectors are in place.

I can provide photos or audio sample, just ask me.
I am somewhat confident with circuits and electrical stuff and i own a digital multimeter so if you want me to test something, again ask.

Thanks for your time

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Without knowing anything of the internals, and taking into account the fact it still basically works, then I would probably start looking at basics such as the power supply. Perhaps a reservoir cap has deteriorated and is causing excess ripple on the supply. Do a visual check to see if any show signs of leakage or bulging.

Beyond that and you are going to need a circuit diagram and an oscilloscope to diagnose this properly.

Thanks for the answer. Capacitors look good to me, i attached some pictures.

Unfortunately i can't find the schematics nowhere. And for the oscillator maybe i can find one. What should i do with it if i obtain one? It's for testing the conversion from ac to dc?

Attachments

• IMG_20160209_203035.jpg
    IMG_20160209_203035.jpg
    956.8 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_20160209_202958.jpg
    IMG_20160209_202958.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20160209_202934.jpg
    IMG_20160209_202934.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 192
It hard to imagine both caps just failing? Did it get plugged in to 220v by mistake or something?

They look bad, but there may be other damage as well, and there is also the root cause.

But I guess start with what you know, and replace those and take it from there.

You can probably get a schematic from Yamaha? You may have to buy it, but it's worth the $5 or whatever to be able to troubleshoot it and fix it.

If the OP is writing from home, then the amp is connected to the 220V as is NORMAL here.
So that can't be the problem. Just bad caps.
There is a big chance that the solder joints are cracked to.
After replacement of the caps that is fixed also.

tip: mark all connectors that wil be disconnected during the repair with a permanent marker. A fine tip pen is just fine. Write the connector code on it, like P2 or J4 etc.
It makes the assembly a lot easier and without (costly) errors.

If the OP is writing from home, then the amp is connected to the 220V as is NORMAL here.

Yep 220-240 V is the standard here in Italy.

By the way the owner of the amp, a friend of mine, told me something that he should have told me before. The noise actually started after a power outage of a portable generator. The amp was plugged there when the generator ran out of gasoline.
So i guess that those caps really are the problem.

Thank you all for the answers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.