Woofer design for JBL 2384 horn and 2432 CD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I heard the JBL 4722 speakers at a fellow enthusiast's place and was amazed at the huge sound - no way else to describe it. It was setup behind an acoustically transparent screen as LCR for a HT, but i was mainly listening to stereo music from it at the time.

i managed to get hold of 3 sets of the HF portion from the 4722, the 2384 horn with the 2432 compression driver. Looking to build a matching LF module that can keep up with the HF section, crossover at 650hz active, similar to the 4722.

I'm thinking a single 15in TM, as opposed to the TMM in the original 4722, as this will be used indoors in home environment. i have a few thoughts and questions :

1. What would be a good 15in woofer choice? I have experience with DIYsoundgroup kits, and have a good impression of Eminence woofers. Maybe the delta pro 15 A, or the kappalite 3015LF? Looking for high efficiency close to 100dB/watt, and the 650hz XO shouldn't be too demanding on the mids? Also seen recommendations for celestions, faital, B&C from other threads.

2. For a TM design, to keep the woofer and waveguide CTC spacing close, would mean the woofer centert is about 20 inches off the floor, and susceptible to floor bounce notch at the critical midbass 100-200hz frequency. Is there a way to improve this? Would a MLTL with the port in front near the floor help fill in some of the 100-200hz range and avoid the notch?

3. Most pro woofers tune to at best 40hz in a 4-5cuft enclosure, similar size to the original 4722 LF module. I've been reading the Accidental MLTL thread with interest, and was wondering if it is possible to gain another 15-25Hz in extension using MLTL tuning for this 15 in woofer? The module will be 35in tall, up to 30in wide, and about 15in deep, i think a folded MLTL is physically possible. Dare i hope the MLTL will tune it to the 20hz range?

Many thanks for your inputs and suggestions!!

Last edited:
I modeled the kappalite 3015, 3015lf, and the deltalite 2515. The 3015lf and deltalite have similar LF extension in about 6cuft. The extra 5mm xmax on the kappalite does surprisingly little for extra maximum output. The. 3015 has much higher F3 in similar sized box.

I'm half wondering if I should try an accidental MLTL for the 3015LF. Will need a single fold in the box for sufficient line length. If it really yields an extra 10-15hz extension, then it would be good to about 25hz in room , wicked!

Haven't built it yet, because I don't really have space for these big guys.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A friend of mine is using the 2435 on the 2384 horn.

If you can afford them, the 2435 Be driver sounds much better than the 2432 Ti driver.

He is using the JBL 4508 dual 15 cabinets with Eminence Magnum series woofers, the ones with the aluminum inductance canceling phase plug.

Joined 2010
Paid Member

If you can afford them, the 2435 Be driver sounds much better than the 2432 Ti driver.

He is using the JBL 4508 dual 15 cabinets with Eminence Magnum series woofers, the ones with the aluminum inductance canceling phase plug.

The pick of the bunch would be the 2453H-SL.....unless you went 2452H-SL plus Be phrams.

Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Actually, I haven't simmed the 2226. Will do a comparison.

I've read that the midrange quality of the 2226 may not be so good compared to some other options. Does it matter for for a 800hz to 1khz xo frequency?

I was corresponding with a person in another forum quite sometime ago who has a single 2226H underneath the 2384/2432. He used 3 of them for his home cinema L/C/R. Crossed active (through a BSS Soundweb) at 1000Hz as I recall and he really thought they sounded good.

Look through MKtheatre posts in the AVS form if you have time. I seem to recall he also experimented with this same combo at one point and thought quite highly of it. I don't know what he was crossing at though....perhaps look him up and contact him.

I've read...

Well, people often write without much actual data, perhaps they are used to distortion.
Best crossover from the 2226 looks to be around 700 Hz.
So the 4" VC drivers are ideal, I have JBL 2453 now.
For your 2432 maybe a little more, 800 Hz to 1 kHz perhaps, I wouldn't use them much above that.

Best wishes
David

Last edited:
Actually, there is not much direct data comparing jbl with other drivers. The 2226 is so legendary.

I was mainly inspired by this article. The author somehow found the eminence woofer sounded better than the mighty 2226. For me, I may take a gamble as the kappalite 3015LF is quite a bit cheaper than the 2226 in Singapore.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/1211/15_inch_woofers.htm

Just got my grubby paws on a pair of jbl 2226 8ohm drivers!

I've read a few posts about people putting the 2226 in a 3cuft tuned to 40hz. Although sims suggest it really needs 5 cuft. Anyone have experience with it in the smaller box, does it work well?

Reason is I currently have a 3cuft 12in woofer box, and am thinking about modifying the box to accept the 2226 instead of building a new one.

Thanks!

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

...paws on a pair of jbl 2226 8ohm drivers!

Reason is I currently have a 3cuft 12in woofer box...

Nice that you found the 2226:).
A pity to mess up/compromise a nice system on the final part.
I have my 2226 in 4 cu ft sealed boxes because I have 18 " 2245 subwoofers mounted very close and cross them around 66 Hz.
I wouldn't use 3 cu ft, at least 5 for a system without subs.

Best wishes
David

Hello DJK.

Is there a DSP settings for 2435 Be driver in 2384 horn? Can't find any.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.