will a 2235h recone work in a 2205a alnico basket

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys ive got a pair of alnico jbl 2205a drivers here
and as mentioned above will a 2235h recone kit work in my basket ?
i read somewere once that some one did it two a 2226 with great success
ive al ready tried aftermarket 2225 kits that dident work out to well..i ended up refiting theoriginall 2205 vc's to the new cones and they are working better but are nothing on what they were originaly ...and im faceing the challange of trying again with better kits ar replaceng the drivers totaly for not much more than what the kits on there own would cost
but has anyone out there modified there driver in this way will this 2235 kit be the better option or should i just go some 2226's
there in 10cubic ft boxes running 400w at 85hz
id like to save the old ones though but prepaird to bight the bullit eitherway

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The coil is longer on the 2235 version and it may require shifting the position on the cone to suit the alnico magnet.There will be a drop of around 4 dB in sensitivity and the free air resonance will drop to 20 Hz (from 30 Hz).You may be better off taking the 2205's and the bits you have, to a skilled repairer,who may be able to salvage something from something that appears to have been a botched repair.

The coil is longer on the 2235 version and it may require shifting the position on the cone to suit the alnico magnet.There will be a drop of around 4 dB in sensitivity and the free air resonance will drop to 20 Hz (from 30 Hz).You may be better off taking the 2205's and the bits you have, to a skilled repairer,who may be able to salvage something from something that appears to have been a botched repair.

i dont think the repair was botched ...but by the time ive redone them over 4 times then the change back to the original vc's yeah theyve been butcherd but not to botched ...someone mentioned that i will have to have the alnico recharged when i replace the cones wich makes sense as the old voice coils have and magnets have probably worn eachother out overtime and might expain why i haveing better success with the original coils and not the cr82225 coils ....im going to have to recharge em just to ruleit out ..but these are expencive lessons $
was asking if a 2235 kit would fit or if theres better out there cause because im chasing better sound like a high
the voice coils on the cr82225 kits where longer than the originals by 3mm made of kapton not cardboard and the height of the former was about 20mm longer not sure if it was me or not the 2225 vc's seemed to be a bit wider when sitting in the gap only by a couple of thousands of an inch...
so i installed them a bit deeper ...i dont have the actual specs and mesurements for the 2205a just the ones i took wile i had the baskets apart ..
i wrote them all downif anyone would like them

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.