Which SMPS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello gents,

I'm currently running a hypex multichannel amplifier, and I do have a little bit of HF noise through the tweeters.
I'm using connex SMPS300R and Hypex 180HG.
After a lot of efforts to clean the wiring, use the right ground connexion, the right modulation cables, etc, things are much better that when I started, but I can still hear this small HF noise when I'm close to the tweeter (not anymore from listening point however...).

I was just thinking : do you thing an Hypex SMPS would be better over the connex and help to reduce this HF noise?

I did not put any metal protection around the SMPS yet (faraday cage), would that help as well?

Thanks in advance for your precious help. :D

Our Coldamp range of SMPS have very low EMI and spread-spectrum modulation for lowest noise, specially designed to be used with Class-D amplifiers, even when they have no defined oscillation frequency such as UCD and hence cannot be synchronized. I invite you to have a look at them. For the UcD180 you may go with our smallest PSU SPS30 and could feed 3 or 4 of them with no problems.

Excuse me? Instable? Blow up?
For your information our PSUs are extremely stable and highly underrated (they can deliver much more power than commercially stated) and they are used even in military applications requiring the highest standards of reliability and not just with the nice load that audio represents, operating in extremely harsh environments (high temperatures, vibrations, sudden overload and removal of load, etc). For years, not a single failure.

Come on... always the same.

Last edited:
Now that was a few years ago so i cant really commend about your later model power supplies, but the earlier models apparantly could sometimes go haywire if the mains exceeded 230VAC, i know a guy in scotland that had bought a smps from you and had it go up in flames, and the cause was that you the manufacturer never tested to make sure the smps would work and remain stable at 240VAC according to him.

Our units are designed for 230V +/-10% as required by regulation (the same for the lower range setting) and work within those limits without issues. They meet or exceed safety regulation.
We have found several cases of misuse of the audio PSUs sold to general public, and in every single case we have been reported a failure (they are very, very few, believe me), the cause has been an abuse.
We did have an issue with a defective capacitor in the very few decens of units (we have sold thousands so far) that was corrected under warranty. That's all.

Our units are designed for 230V +/-10% as required by regulation (the same for the lower range setting) and work within those limits without issues. They meet or exceed safety regulation.
In every single case we have been reported a failure in any of the audio PSUs sold the general public (they are very, very few, believe me), the cause has been an abuse/misuse. We try to cover all possible abuses to the PSUs but that's not always possible.
We did have an issue with a defective capacitor in the very few decens of units (we have sold thousands so far) that was corrected under warranty. That's all.

Believe me, our PSUs may not be the cheapest ones, but they are rugged. Anyway you can choose among a wide variety of weaker ones, but most of them are "toys" compared to ours.

In every single case we have been reported a failure in any of the audio PSUs sold the general public (they are very, very few, believe me), the cause has been an abuse/misuse. We try to cover all possible abuses to the PSUs but that's not always possible.

Believe me, our PSUs may not be the cheapest ones, but they are rugged. Anyway you can choose among a wide variety of weaker ones, but most of them are "toys" compared to ours.

Your claims sound very confidant i dont doubt you however i browsered though your website and it needs some work to make it more attractive, by profession im a software developer and i can tell you the reason why you have such a "underrated" response is cause your website design is bad, and you need more detail on your products i just checked out the smps below it looks good but the details is to nebulous for users.
Connexelectronic

In an age where processes are becoming more complex human user interface interaction is the most important entry point to any system.

I'd stay away from the coldamp smps as i've heard reports that they tend to go unstable and blow up.

Instead i recommend the connex/hypex smps.
OK, I know nothing about coldamp but if I get you right, there should be no differences between connex and hypex, so no reasons for me to change.

I'll carry on digging out possible issues explaining this very minor noise through the tweeter then. :D

Thanks for the feedbacks to you all. ;)

hissy tweeters is 99.9% guranteed the amp itself and not the psu, unless you tested the amp with a linear psu and got no hiss.

That's quite surprising as I have it through my pair of ST as well as through my paire of HG modules...

Any idea how I could improve it then??

Don't get me wrong, this is superb for the price, you can't hear this noise from the listening point, but I'd like to get it as perfect as possible...

That's quite surprising as I have it through my pair of ST as well as through my paire of HG modules...

Don't get me wrong, this is superb for the price, you can't hear this noise from the listening point, but I'd like to get it as perfect as possible...

Don't think you will get it any better.
I had the same problems with my L15D's , they are noisy with your ears at the speakers , but you just have to get use to that and start to enjoy the undistorted and open sound at your listening position .It's not a big problem , and your ear at the speaker is not a normal listening position !
If you dont want any noise with your ears at the tweeters , and a good sound , with class D it's gonna cost you !

Cheers ,

Rens

Hi, Reactance.
I can't do anything but accepting your critics, it is true that our website has to improve.
However, when I said "underrated", I meant that when we advertise our products, the official specifications are always below their real capabilities, specially in what refers to power capability. We prefer to do this (users very often tend to abuse the products ratings so we have margin) than the opposite (claiming 1000W when a product can only provide 200W continuously, or things like that). It has always been our policy.

Djoul,

The UcD modules has a very low noise level, you can barely hear any noise in your tweeter on a distance of a few centimeters ( or one/two inches..). So the noise source must be somthing else, try to use a linear PSU or short circuit the input of the UcD module to see if the noise comes from the source.

Jan-Peter

Djoul,

The UcD modules has a very low noise level, you can barely hear any noise in your tweeter on a distance of a few centimeters ( or one/two inches..). So the noise source must be somthing else, try to use a linear PSU or short circuit the input of the UcD module to see if the noise comes from the source.

Jan-Peter
That is making feel better, strange enough.
I'll carry on investigations, what would you mean by short-circuit the input, the modulation input I guess?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.