Which plate amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

sumacSK

2004-06-16 12:53 pm
Prague
Hi,

I'm considering building active sub using two Eminence Delta 12LF in 80 (?) liter sealed box. Since it is sealed it would require some EQ. I think this amp should work: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-796 . What do you think? Any other amps in this price range? (maybe little more expesive). Anybody have experiences with Monacor Sam amps?

Thanks Martin

Hi Martin,

Before you get started, you are wanting a couple of 12" pro drivers for a sub? I don't remember off hand but I dont think the Delta's go below 40 or 50 Hz. These are high efficiency, low Xmax PA drivers.

Is this for loud music or were you looking for a sub?

Also, that amp is quite weak for two high powered pro drivers. You might consider a bigger one like the 500 or even the 1000 watt unit at PE

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-808

Please tell us more about what it is you are doing.

Cal

BAD IDEA

Whoa, hold on there a second!

I need to say that it is an extremely BAD idea to EQ low-Xmax drivers for deeper bass response. Since the voice coil is so relatively short, you will run it outside the magnetic gap in no time, causing a HUGE increase in THD and an even BIGGER decrease in sound quality. I would bet money that you won't be _half_ as impressed with those two 12" pro woofers as with ONE AESpeakers AV12 SUB-woofer. They're on special now at the AE Speakers online store, and I think it's for even less than you would be paying for the two pro sub drivers. The AV12 also has the reputation of being one of the cleanest-sounding bass drivers on the market, and I can tell you from personal experience that it is one great driver for music.

But for corn's sake, pick a real subwoofer driver! The course of action you are describing is an extremely bad recipe for a subwoofer, and a very good recipe for real disaster! Don't waste your money doing it again - make sure it's right the first time.

If, after you read this, you are still set on the pro drivers, I can't really stop you, but I needed to make sure that we have a reality check: Pro sound drivers make terrible subwoofers and only marginal woofers for high-fidelity applications.

Re: BAD IDEA

BAM said:
I can't really stop you, but I needed to make sure that we have a reality check: Pro sound drivers make terrible subwoofers and only marginal woofers for high-fidelity applications.

Please identify your personal opinions as such, and not "reality". There are a lot of respected designs using pro drivers and MANY would argue that they are superior drivers for hifi because of their higher efficiency.

Apex "SENIOR"

I'm selling a sub-woofer amp in the middle
350 Watts at 4 ohm and 250 Watts at 8 ohms
The Apex "Senior" There priced at $159.95
I will offer a DIY Audio special deal till the end
of June at $145.00ea, plus shipping.
Just mention DIY Audio when ordering.
Information and plans are on the website under amplifiers
Steve @ Apex Jr.
www.apexjr.com

Re: Apex "SENIOR"

Apex Jr said:
I'm selling a sub-woofer amp in the middle
350 Watts at 4 ohm and 250 Watts at 8 ohms
The Apex "Senior" There priced at $159.95
I will offer a DIY Audio special deal till the end
of June at $145.00ea, plus shipping.
Just mention DIY Audio when ordering.
Information and plans are on the website under amplifiers
Steve @ Apex Jr.
www.apexjr.com

E-mail me dude. I havent ordered from SOlen yet for amps. If you have all the goodys i would be interested in two.

Hi BAM,

Yes you are right. I know everithing you metioned, but everyone who listened to it tell you it is great... Originally it is used in Bastanis Prometeus speakers : http://www.bastanis.com/diy/prometheus+mkii_en.htm . The driver you suggested looks good but I don't like the high MMS (280 g). Isn't it too much for 12" driver? What do you think about Adire Shiva or NHT 1259?

Thanks Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.